HE'S BACK! I've finally stopped. Now to hold on. My story to recovery

Phineas 808

Staff member
Congrats, Shade, on the financial front- though, I hope your wife is good otherwise...!

Wishing you luck on the router end, so you can put it all out of your mind.

ShadeTrenicin

Hey Orbiter! Thanks a lot for your post! It means a lot to me.

Ive been struggling and I've had to come to terms with the fact that I've outsmarted myself with regards to the limitations on the router. Somehow that was a big emotional setback.

I've been trying to recenter and come up with a new plan, but I've not been able to do it.

Also, lately the thoughts of just giving in are more and more present. But my wife's noticed a regression in my behaviour and that is a major red flag.

So I have no choice but to go at it again.

Day 2

Orbiter

Hey Orbiter! Thanks a lot for your post! It means a lot to me.

Ive been struggling and I've had to come to terms with the fact that I've outsmarted myself with regards to the limitations on the router. Somehow that was a big emotional setback.

I've been trying to recenter and come up with a new plan, but I've not been able to do it.

Also, lately the thoughts of just giving in are more and more present. But my wife's noticed a regression in my behaviour and that is a major red flag.

So I have no choice but to go at it again.

Day 2

Hey Shade,

Good to hear from you even if you have been experiencing some struggles as of late.

As much of a blessing as it is to have someone to share a life with, be supportive and hold you accountable, it can also go the other way in terms of feelings of pressure and guilt right? I think it's good that she was there to both observe & communicate it with you though. One more reason not to give in.

Don't feel too bad about the router. I know some people say this stuff works but really, if we're smart enough to set something like that up, chances are we're smart enough to know how to bypass or reset it right? Perhaps let's chalk it up to being an idea that could be helpful as a secondary preventative measure but not in itself a full-proof strategy. And that's okay, we now know for next time.

Another thing I would say is that, while plans are important in the long term. Don't overthink it too much or feel like you have to wait for a plan or idea to come to keep pushing forward with your recovery. The primary aim here is you're making one day at a time PMO free & handling the urges as they arise. Plans are important in the long term but they're not everything or even the main thing.

Great work on 2 days! Don't give the addict voice a moments notice Shade, just keep on going.

Wishing you well,

Orbiter

Last edited:

Phineas 808

Staff member
Hi, Shade!

What I was thinking when you were posting about manipulating your routers is- "Man, there's so much thought going into this, and thus ---> focus."

This 'focus' may now be shifting to "a plan"- which can be generally helpful, but hurtful if it becomes an obsession, or just another way for the beast-brain to kick around this habit. Sometimes thinking too much, even about 'not' doing it, works against us, or feeds the addiction.

You've tried this with blockers, how empowering it may be if you can say 'No' to these behaviors without blockers, manipulated routers, or the like?

I agree with Orbiter about the wife's knowing, which thankfully she's supportive. But it does add a layer of consideration that may work with us or against us. Something to certainly think about. For my own story, the level of shame attached to something my wife may say, or her questioning, or even interrogation- not to mention slight quips or jokes- are definitely something I, myself, could not deal with- and found it counter-productive to my own efforts.

Wishing you well, Shade!

Orbiter

Hey all, thanks for all the comments.

Im doing well, day 9, and deliberately not going on to much as a new approach.

Sorry for not being here to support others at the moment. Wish you all well of course.

Take care

Congratulations on the 9 days Shade! Glad to hear things have been going well on your end lately.

Keep up the great work!