Urge? Just walk outside

Caravan7

Well, this may sound overly simple, but what the heck, whatever works:

I created a technique to help me when I feel an urge, R.E.L.A.X (I talk about it in another post)

But I think there are TWO spaces when an urge (P or just MO by itself) is approaching:

1) The very brief "onset" period (few seconds) when the tingle or image in your mind begins to form: sometimes, if you catch it quickly and you have a good meditation technique, you may be able to nip in the bud; however, if you don't:

2) The second space is when your mind is now fully captured by the internal fantasy, I call it an "aura" and now all you can think about is your urge to masturbate. The science of habit change suggests that entering in a tug of war with this "monster" does little good: it will overpower you.

So here's what I'm going to try:
1) Early urge: I'll try RELAX
2) If that fails, I'll just step outside immediately and go for a walk with my urge all about me. And because you can't masturbate in public (I hope you don't!) I'll keep walking around until it simply subsides. Everything is temporary.

OLD ME:
Trigger (or cue) > behavior: masturbate > feel better > repeat

NEW ME:
Trigger (or cue) > behavior: RELAX and/or WALK OUTSIDE > feel better (relaxation, movement, fresh air, view of nature) > repeat

Nothing here is particularly new, I know! But I had the urge (!) to write about it.

Also, THANK YOU all! I have learned SOOO much from you guys.
Cheers, peace, and love.
C7

Fappy

Respected Member
very sound advice. there are times when it is hard to mentally remove yourself from the environment which triggers you, but there is certainly no excuse for being able to physically remove yourself from it. out of sight out of mind type of thing.
more advanced rebooters can mentally escape from the trigger, but walking away or outside or even standing up, getting your body involved, works wonders.

Caravan7

Thanks man, yes it's all about finding effective strategies instead of beating myself up, and also strategies that can get the word done if (while) mere will power is not strong enough.

Just a bit ago I was able to resist an urge (in the shower) with another "dopamine substitute": singing! (and isn't singing in the shower a classic, ah ah :)

(not sure if music releases dopamine too, but you know: any good endorphin-producing activity will do!)

Cheers