Addicted to PMO 10+ years before real sex

PeteSL

Short version:

Pete, 28 PMO addict for 10+ years, escalated really bad the last 5 years. Developed a severe form of PIED, in which even P could not do the trick. Gradually developed social anxiety. Known about my problem for years, but been fooling myself. First attempt for real sex at 28 years old. Failed miserably. Immediately started no PMO. Had semi-successful penetrative sex on day 33 of no PMO. Other benefits of no PMO have started to emerge. Unknown in what status of flatline I’m in. Still a long way to go and quite many barriers to face, but I am optimistic for the long term future.

Long version:

Hello rebooters, this is Pete, 28 years old. Lurker in the forum for some time now, but I decided to share my story. I am a PMO addict, for at least 10 years. I consider myself to be a severe case, particularly because of a very bad escalation over the last years, and also addiction 10+ years before any real intercourse.

This is a summary of my PMO timeline:​
  • Slight PMO habits 15 - 18y (2-3 times per week, up to 20 min/session, no highspeed internet P)​
  • Heavy PMO habits 18 - 22y (hello high speed internet P, bye bye MW, up to 1h sessions, every day, erections start getting worse, video game addiction comes in as well)​
  • Very heavy PMO habits 22-28 y (sessions up to 3h, edging every time, could not maintain erection during P use, PMO 4 times a day -even more sometimes-, every day of course, escalated to some really wrong stuff)​
I had some light romantic experiences at 15-18 (making out etc), but no sex. In my teenage years I was reasonably popular and successful with girls, and it is the only kind of experience with real women I had up until age 28 (and the only part that helped when the time came for the real thing…). The escalating PMO killed my motivation for any kind of relationships over the years. This led to me being practically loveless for all my young adult years. Social anxiety kicked in hard, to the point I would have communication problems in simple activities like going to the store or being in public transportation. Problematic video game use did not help as well. To make things worse, a very toxic non-sexual relationship with a girl at 22-25 years old messed me up real bad. This led to severe depression and ruined self-confidence, and my worst PMO streaks, which I used to escape reality and vent off the really awful impression that I had formed for women due to my circumstances (escalation to some very bad P stuff here).

Amidst all this chaos that I caused to my life with PMO, I somehow managed to do pretty well on my studies. At 25y I landed a job that paid really well and presented great room for personal growth, however requiring immense amounts of effort, stress and time. That did not work well with my PMO problems. I would spend the couple of hours of daily free time that my job left me for PMO. Sleep, work, PMO, repeat. No time to even think of escaping this damn circle.

But the newfound status, success and not-so-horrible looks did draw the attention of women, so through a series of events that I cannot at this moment judge as bad or good luck, I tried to have sex for the first time at 28 years old, with a girl I liked for several months (let’s call her Mary). Well guess what PIED had to say about this... NO erection at all. All the passion and attraction I felt for her was there in my mind, but nothing translated to where it should have…

Mary was pretty cool about it though, but I know that it hurt her. It also confused the hell out of her, since I was otherwise pretty passionate with her. We continue to try, and I do give her pleasure through other means of sex, but it is very difficult for me to penetrate & orgasm. This causes her to feel guilt, since it feels like she uses me. We are attempting to find a balance in this relationship, and have many other unrelated problems, but the PIED definitely does not help.

Following these days, in which I feel devastated and defeated, I came to the realization that PMO is just not an option for me anymore. It is over. For the last years, I understood that P had become a problem for me. However, I misled myself to believe I would somehow get over this “with time”. It was all a fallacy. A trick played to me by my addicted brain to keep me fixed in this downward spiral. And it had to come to this for me to really get it.. Actually being with a girl and nothing working..
I have brought this on myself..

I am now at day 36 of no PMO, with one O in day 33. I still have a long way to go, given my 10 years of heavy addiction, and also being addicted so long before any real intimate relationship, but I have been noticing benefits.​
  • After some more unsuccessful attempts at penetrative sex, the situation got a bit better. I did manage to penetrate for approx. 5 minutes. Not the best of erections but it did work, and also with a condom... It was a significant boost to my confidence and the whole sex experience was great that day. This happened on day 33 of no PMO. It may have been the longest erection I have maintained in 10 years… Yeah it has gotten that bad.. I have also opened up to Mary about the problems of P, and while it took some time for her to resonate with the whole topic, she seems to understand.​
  • Before starting the reboot, strong and lengthy erections were really out of the question, even during P use. Now, I can achieve an erection by touch alone, and even reach 100% though it is still difficult to maintain (a couple of minutes max). also, for it to happen I need to be touching myself veery slowly and in a specific way. Just a note: Since I know the questions for “is it PIED?” suggest trying non-P erections and if it succeeds, it is not PIED – I have tried exactly the same thing on full PMO mode, as well as 3 days PMO-free (my once longest streak), and it utterly failed. So, I believe it is my few days of reboot causing this change.​
  • Haven’t had MW for at least 13 years. And I mean ZERO MW, every day. For 3-4 days within the first 36 days of no PMO I had a solid 80 % MW. These actually came about since day 20ish, but I do not have them every day.​
  • Found motivation to spend my (still little) free time hitting the gym, and also completely cut off video games.​
  • I do have P flashbacks and urges, really severe at times. The fact that the prospect of real sex is possible really helps with addressing them. But it’s gonna be a real struggle if it goes bad with Mary, at least in the short term, since my psychology is gonna take a hit...​
  • Larger penis size in flaccid mode (happened from very early on – day 20ish- and has maintained since).​
  • Social anxiety has been reduced tremendously.​
It is all still difficult for me, but I just try to maintain the thought that I have never actually known my real core self by bringing this P poison into my life. In doing the reboot it is like I am actually “holding on till my self arrives”. This is a thought that is a bit of a help to maintain my sanity (as weird as it sounds lol).

As of now, my situation seems to be getting better. Even thinking about a tiny bit of penetrative sex on as early as day 33 seemed like an impossibility on day 1, but abstaining from PMO has been an immense help. However, I might still not have hit the flatline, and all the withdrawal symptoms may be just waiting for me up ahead. I hope to be bringing good news in my journal updates.

I wish the best to all of you. Our bad luck and our even worse life choices have put us up with a uniquely sinister enemy. But we can beat this.

PeteSL

Day 39
Dreamt that I was PMOing. Damn my fantasy is strong at times.
Had strong P flashbacks during driving (long drives to and from work...). Concerned this might actually be a dangerous distraction.
Otherwise stressful day at work, but I kept everything at bay.

Hello Pete from a fellow lurker.

Sounds like you found your reason to quit PMO.
Also, hearing someone in their 20's with little sexual experience make a positive change and actually gain experience at that age gives others in a similar situation (me, 24) some belief that things can improve.

Stay strong!

PeteSL

Hello Pete from a fellow lurker.

Sounds like you found your reason to quit PMO.
Also, hearing someone in their 20's with little sexual experience make a positive change and actually gain experience at that age gives others in a similar situation (me, 24) some belief that things can improve.

Stay strong!
Thank you man!
Things can definitely improve, as long as one keeps P out of the picture. It is definitely the P that causes the problems, tremendously much more than lack of experience. Also it is a big part of the reason for the lack of experience, since motivation for real relationships takes a hit.

Day 40
Bad day today.. had a misunderstanding with my so.. and I went it all out on alcohol for the first time in quite a while
(had problems with alcohol and had been 7 months clean till today - so.. streak broken..)
15 sec of viewing a video of a totally non sexual but hot female youtuber in the morning produced some strong P flashbacks throughout the day. Please people, avoid anything that may play out as a trigger ESPECIALLY in the morning right after you wake up
maybe the mind is more sensitive in the morning since it has not fully booted up or something... 1h no screens after waking up is a rule from now on.
at least kept my streak to 40 days
hope my alcohol relapse does not trigger anything else because it's a downward spiral from there...

PeteSL

Day 41
Dreamt of having sex with one of my once-favourite P-Stars. At least it was not in the context of a P-related setup but a more down-to-earth sex scenario, probably due to my recent real sex experiences. Solid 100% MW waking up after that but probably it does not count since a P-related fantasy was involved. This dream f’ed up my mind all day long. Very bad urges. Had invasive thoughts that a small peek would not harm so much, at least to see if she had any new scenes (damn that novelty dopamine thing...). The alcohol relapse did me very bad, since it seems to have loosened up the self-control mechanisms.

No peeks, no P though. Staying on it.

PeteSL

Day 42
Another P-Star fuelled sex dream.. Seems I am at war with my subconscious, which is poking around my still vivid P-Star brain database, regrettably formed over all these years. Caused a great deal of urges, invasive thoughts and mind fog for the morning but gradually got better.
I can see very clearly now that a large part of the problem is the High-speed internet P novelty hits. There is not so much the urge to revisit old clips. My brain keeps telling me “What if she has a NEW clip out, wouldn’t hurt just to check!!”. The brain sometimes rationalizes that if there is nothing new available, I may even calm myself down. Of course, this is nonsense, since just by entering these sites it would be impossible to get out without PMO. They hit you from every side and corner there is. Bet the Web-page developers have these orders exactly.
Gotta say though, that obsessing over specific P-Stars was definitely an additional detrimental factor to my downfall. It gives my subconscious an additional weapon.

Slowly making progress to developing mechanisms to address these urges though.

PeteSL

Day 43
No P dreams today and the day went really smooth in terms of urges. Actually finding some strength in the thought that I have dealt with the urges of the past few days. In my PMO times, I was always struggling to at least cut off the time of P usage, but I very rarely succeeded to beat an urge. I mean rarely like 3-4 times in 10+ years.

PeteSL

Day 44
Tough day because of relationship problems.. Also getting triggered by any even remotely beautiful girl passing by lol.. Noticing how compulsive thoughts would form right away as a result of obsessive PMO. "Damn, this girl is hot, cant wait to get home to PMO", and not "I gotta go talk to her". A really toxic way of thinking..

All is under control though, for the moment, and the journey continues.

Hi PeteSL, I read through your journal so far, and I can relate very well with that last comment you made. P*** causes us to develop a highly dehumanizing view of women, viewing them not as real people but as objects to be used for our own selfish dopamine boosts at their expense. Stay strong and fight the urges in order to become a better and nobler man!!!

PeteSL

Hi PeteSL, I read through your journal so far, and I can relate very well with that last comment you made. P*** causes us to develop a highly dehumanizing view of women, viewing them not as real people but as objects to be used for our own selfish dopamine boosts at their expense. Stay strong and fight the urges in order to become a better and nobler man!!!
Thank you man!
You are right... it leads to a highly dehumanizing view of everything if you ask me though... We flood our brains with supernormal overstimulation and, for addicts, most typical "fun" activities cannot compete at all... The way high speed internet P is set up is just not processable for the human brain..

PeteSL

Day 45
A nice milestone I think!
Starting to have flatline effects. Libido seems to have died out. Penis was shrinked today, and no MW whatsoever...
Having urges but still disgusted by the idea of P.
bad news is that I'm fully into alcohol now, once again.. Can't deal with all of one's demons at once I suppose, the pressure is too much... but I want that PMO demon beaten over anything else..

PeteSL

Day 46
Flashbacks and urges do persist, but I am not backing down.. At least P-dreams have slowed down, for the moment...
Started to fire up some music making & singing. Used to be my main hobby before my destructive PMO habits drained all of my energy and creativity. Nice to have this back!

PeteSL

Day 47
Well, it was mutually decided that we are going to take some time at a distance with my so.... Intimacy is out of the question for at least some weeks. This is gonna hurt like a MF.
Really hard to cope with PMO reboot withdrawals and relationship problems at the same time, certainly a risky situation...
It is also a devastating thought that it is unsure how much of this is caused by my P problems. Can't get my mind off the thought that PIED causes her distancing, although she definitively denies it..
It is vacation time however, and one needs to fill up their schedule with social and creative activities, since the PMO relapse just waits around the corner to strike, upon the first sight of idle hands....

PeteSL

Day 48
Trying hard to keep a balanced mind.. The situation of yesterday really achieves to ramp up my hate and disgust towards P and what it has brought to my life, however this is not a good thing. I think the best thing is just to stay away and not think about it, no excessive emotions involved. Feeling strongly for it, even in a negative way, can certainly work the opposite way.

PeteSL

Day 50
Gone without P-dreams for a week and it fills me with hope..
Focusing on socializing really helps. However barriers come in when my friends wanna know how my relationship is going and talk about it, which leads to me having to tell the story again and well... it hurts.. And you know what the brain wants to balance out the pain with....
Tried talking to one of my more considerate friends about the harms of P. He seemed to understand but is still a bit defensive on the topic. He is trying to do an all-round dopamine detox but finding all kinds of obstacles.. Man, this P problem is so deeply rooted in the modern society.
Either way, talking about some of my thoughts on P with someone did help a lot.
Keeping on..​

PeteSL

Day 51
P Dreams are back with a vengeance. Dreamt of a whole P sequence.. and my mind pretty much kept throwing strong flashbacks at me all day..
Well, it is getting real difficult.
Having to resort to revisiting my other problematic habits, alcohol and video games. It is too much to tackle all at once.. I know it is against what many people here suggest, since it may reignite the bad dopamine pathways, but I'm getting too much pressure..
Still, it is nice to feel a bit of power against the urges. In old times it would be just impossible for me to resist urges that strong..

canguro

Man, big respect for you staying strong despite drinking...I know for sure, if I would drink now, I would PMO later. It shows that you are really done with it! But at the same time: You need a more fullfilling hobby. =) Are you still working out? I know one cant battle every problem at once, but pls try to keep alcohol consumption as low as possible <3 I was an alcoholic myself (I dont consider myself one today, but I know the saying "once an alcoholic always an alcoholic") and I know the struggle!

PeteSL

Really thank you for the support guys!
As it is evident, my willpower has taken a hit, but I have not broken.
I have a long lasting thing with alcoholism.. I do have fulfilling hobbies (music), but it is kinda difficult to invest the time and effort required with such a brain chaos. I think more physical hobbies match way better with the reboot
I have put off other activities, due to summer breaks and such… summer is not a good timing for this stage of reboot I’d say.. but it is what it is..

Day 52
Browsing Instagram has brought me some triggers today, but nothing non-controllable. However, the endless scrolling does spark up some P-related mental imagery. It should be avoided, at least for longer than a few minutes. Blocked everything on Youtube (related, home page etc), except the search bar, for removing unwanted distractions or triggers.
Ramping up my research on the topic of P addiction and related problems and it is very helpful, although I also discover more and more of what I have been doing to myself, and I get some shocking realisations. Also bought YBOP and gonna start on it right away.

PeteSL

Day 53
I think today is a victory since despite having a very intense P dream, akin to some of the problematic stuff I escalated to, I did not get any urges. And I'm not having a particularly good day, or any type of good news or so. If anything, it was a lonely day... But the P-dream trigger just had a lower overall effect!
I had actually forgotten about the dream until writing this post lol.. Hope it is a sign of the P mental pathways weakening!

In terms of MWs, I got not good news for the past days. I occasionally get some random 100% boners within the night, that actually last a bit, but nothing when I wake up.