THE BEST SPIRITUAL WAY TO FIGHT TEMPTATION

Gordon 7

Chess players who attack, win more often. Chess players who react, lose more often. In fighting lust, always attack. Always pray:

“Father, help me to turn from lust, and help me to love others.”

Start praying before you go out, before you turn on the TV, before you go to a tempting place, and before you come home from school or work.

When a chess opponent attacks first, the other player is prone to mistakes. When satan attacks first, we are prone to mistakes. If we attack temptation first and ferociously, satan will start to think about easier prey.

Second, it is better to attack first than to be some expert at quitting. Someone new to this site might pray this prayer 1000 times this week and have satan running. Someone with great expertise in quitting may pray it only a few times and then forget to attack, attack, attack.

Third, attacking sin ignites God's presence. The Bible says, “In your presence is fullness of joy.”

Attack, quit, and find joy.

For the full article click.

Gordon 7

Yesterday I pushed turning from lust. But, if 100% of our thoughts are either lust or turning from lust, it may be a rough battle. Some days we are restless, frustrated, wanting to go back to our destruction. So yes, start with turning from lust and fighting lust, but quickly transition to something like insisting on having peace and contentment in your life.

Second, yesterday was a disaster for me. I fought back by mentally listing 5 things to be thankful for. That did really help, but in hindsight, I could have turned my day completely around if I had studied peace.

Third, think... WWJD if He had my current problems? What would Paul do? How would he think, and react?

Fourth, David was a disaster, then a great example. When you need peace, read a Psalm, or, search “Best Psalm for Peace.”

Fifth, quitting sin is vitally important. And, being the person who is a shining light handling life's problems is vitally important.

Finally, it is shocking how we can fight back life's challenges when we attack with scripture and prayer. Plus, doing that is a great attack on bad habits.

Gordon 7

Pure thoughts are clean thoughts. Pure thinking involves thinking in a pure way about what we will read, watch, listen to, or think about. Consider praying David's prayer:

“Create in me a pure heart Oh God, and renew a right Spirit within me.”

Step one in thinking pure thoughts is to plan to think pure thoughts. Plan pure thoughts if you are out and about where temptation may pop up. Plan pure thoughts before you turn on the TV.

Second, pure thoughts are: What is God's will right now, not Wow, when we see an attractive person. Pure thoughts only happen when we avoid evil.

Finally, pure thoughts are writing prayers that say what Job said about keeping his eyes pure.

“Father, I will keep my eyes pure, help me to run from sin.”

Purity and positivity lead to a clean mind, and a clean mind keeps us free. Consider a focus on purity.

Gordon 7

Joseph ran from lust because he knew God had something for him to do. He also knew that lust would greatly hinder his ability to do it.

Today, I have not taken 1 second to think about what God wants me to do. I will never be famous like Joseph because of that error.

God created all of us to do something. I can continue in bleakness today, or I can review articles about what to think about (Yes, I struggle to do what my articles say. So I am going to print the ideas that I have not made into habits).

Second, never give up. When life is blah, having a goal of how to improve will make life way better.

Ephesians 2:10 ESV For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”

Today I was struggling because I was ignoring this verse. Joseph's faith was always close to 100% that God had a purpose for him. Consider praying:

“Father, increase my faith, and help me to run from lust.”

Today I plan to work on habits about what to think about.

Work on habits, increase faith, and increase success.

Gordon 7

The following contains Christian topics. Please proceed if that is what you want.

If we spend time at the cross we realize that life is more serious than we think. At the cross, the sins of the world were put on Jesus. After a life of doing God's will and living in joy and living in the light, darkness was finally on Him. For the first time in His life, he was depressed. Yes, He was greatly challenged many times, but never depressed until then.

Satan never leads with, “This will be fun, but then you will be depressed when he tempts us.” Consider praying:

“Father, remind me that satan's tricks lead to depression, help me to turn from his tricks.”

Second, satan has 4-6 distractions for you to get your mind off of Jesus. Some of them are not even blatant sins, they just keep you from purpose and joy.

Third, Jesus gave His life. What am I willing to give? Will I give up one of those distractions so that I can be more in His will, or live more in love? Why does the Bible say to be “Poor in spirit?” Because, I can spend my time trying to be great, rich, successful, famous, or any of a thousand things. Or... I can give up my sins, and distractions, then follow Jesus, and try to help someone.

Gordon 7

When a trigger hits it is wise to stop and think. What is happening and why is it happening? #2 Write down your thoughts and emotions in that situation. #3 Have a plan for fighting triggers. First, have a couple of prayers and start praying them fervently. Next, say repeatedly, “I can always stop temptation with the verses for quitting if it starts to overwhelm me.”

Second, it is vital to get active in some way once you are triggered. Think of 3 physical activities. Pick the best one. But, what if you don't feel like doing that activity? Remember, you are doing it so that you can quit and have a great life, not because you want a spectacular experience that minute. Consider saying every few minutes during your new activity:

“This plan will really help me learn how to deal with triggers.”

Finally, start giving thanks for the good things you have, and start to praise the Lord. You can overcome triggers and someday you will be able to help others overcome as well. That's the purpose-driven life.

Gordon 7

This article contains very firm Bible concepts. Please continue if that is what you want.

Adam and Eve's sin explains what “The wages of sin is death,” means. Because of their sin the previously fruitful ground was cursed. Now we have weeds. #2 They were banished from the garden. #3 Now we work instead of enjoying life in paradise. #4 Now there is childbirth pain. #5 They caused mankind to start life in a sinful state instead of a righteous state. #6 Yes, their sin caused them to physically die at a later day instead of living on earth forever. But... judge for yourself if that was more costly than the other effects.

As you pray more, you will realize the destruction lust causes. Consider praying often:

“Father, show me the destruction lust causes.”

It is unlikely that there are less than 5 effects from falling. If you question that last statement, consider praying that prayer a lot.

When we “Quit to live,” we discover the destruction that was happening before. When we “Quit to live,” we start the process of healing that may replace some of what was lost.

Second, after people fall, satan will tell them, “You might as well do what you want now. The damage is already done.” That is a lie. Believing that will keep you in bondage.

A Story

A rich man found heroin. He hid it well for a while, but then his wife said, “Quit or I am gone.” She caught him, she left. Satan said, “The damage is done, do what you want to do.”

He continued and soon lost his furniture. Satan said, “The damage is done, do what you want to do.” He continued and soon piled up huge debts. Satan said, “The damage is done, do what you want to do.” He continued and soon lost his job. Satan said, “The damage is done, do what you want to do.” He continued and soon lost his house. Satan said, “The damage is done, do what you want to do.” He continued and was soon living in a cardboard box. Satan said, “The damage is done, do what you want to do.”

Third, satan is a liar. The damage is not done. Continuing to fall starts to stack up depression 5000 miles high. Then it goes higher.

Fourth to “Quit to live,” consider saying every day:

“Something dies, partially dies, or starts to die when I believe satan's lies.” This is always true.

Fifth, you were obsessed with lust. Today consider becoming obsessed with working on becoming kind. Pray about it, think about it. The Bible says to “Think about things above.” Now is the perfect time to become obsessed with that.

Here is a great video on kindness.

Gordon 7

A lot of time should be spent working on quitting. Many people spend 25 minutes at this site. That is smart. But only a few understand that it is just as important to work on something every hour that you can. Obviously, if you are busy at work this does not apply. But if you have tons of time to lust at work or school, taking 1 minute to review your quitting plan on your phone is needed.

Second, if you review a quitting verse every hour, and read a reminder to pray often every hour, you will be working on quitting every hour. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to turn from lust, and help me to be temperate.”

Stay calm, stay positive, keep control.

Finally, if you are bored, work on something regarding quitting for 5 minutes every hour. Whether you are bored or busy, try to pray about quitting many times per day. Consider setting your phone alarm so that you remember what you want to do.

Plan/work/pray/quit.

Gordon 7

All bad habits stem from the fact that we often don't know perfectly how to believe.

John 11:40 ESV Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?”

If I do God's will in a 10% way today, I will live in some tiny way in the glory of God. If I run from sin and do God's will in a 50% way I will see some of the glory of God. On the mountain, Moses saw part of the glory of God. When he came down his face was glowing.

Second, we are made in God's image, so we should reflect His glory. #1 Sin will block His glory so a huge goal always is to run from sin. #2 If I don't remember to try to do God's will and live in the glory, I won't reflect His great glory. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to run from sin, and show me Your glory.”

Third, we all need something great in life. A daily goal should be to reflect His glory.

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

#1 Run from sin. #2 Focus on getting a bit of God's glory. #3 Do good deeds and let your light shine. Three habits that distract from bad habits. Three great habits to work on.

For the full article click

Gordon 7

Barry Bonds smashed baseballs. He was the king of the steroid era players (allegedly). Pitchers were scared of him and he walked 232 times in 2004 including 120 intentional walks. Barry annihilated the home run record with 73.

The million-dollar question is, can we annihilate lust? If we include specific scriptures about lust in our prayers they start to become powerful. Consider praying:

“The eye is the light of the body, if that light is darkness, how great is that darkness.”

At home, we can read lust verses when overwhelmed. #2 If we have several prayers that use verses about lust for busy times, they will start to change our thought patterns. Consider praying:

“If my thoughts are darkness how great is that darkness.”

Consider praying those prayers until you “know” that lust causes darkness and depression. It is easier to quit if you start to become fully aware of the dark side to lust.

Gordon 7

Lust has a purpose. Satan's purpose with lust is to destroy your spiritual destiny. Satan uses lust to make you content with life as is. Lust is a literal fight for your purpose. When tempted, you need to see satan's plan in that temptation. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to flee from lust, and help me to pursue righteousness, and love.”

Today, when you start to see temptation... Start praying immediately, and imagine seeing next to your temptation – satan standing there planning your downfall just like he did with Adam and Eve. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to turn from lust and keep reminding me about who is trying to destroy me.”

1 Peter 5:8 ESV Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”

Finally, we need a great weapon against satan. The Bible is the sword. A great weapon. The more you get it in you, the better you will fight.

Gordon 7

Reading at least one chapter of the New Testament daily is vital for quitting. Consider writing a note about a place and time where/when you will do that. I read one chapter in the New, and one in the Old Testament daily.

Proverbs 7:1 My son, keep my words, And treasure my commands within you. 2 Bind them on your fingers; Write them on the tablet of your heart.”

How can we “Bind” the commands? #1 Put a piece of tape or string around your finger. #2 Set an alarm on your phone. #3 Notes. #4 Put it on your (Google) calendar. #5 Have a magnet on your fridge. Put fresh notes up under the magnet weekly (Use a code if needed). In your bedroom write your goal - “Run from lust.” On your fridge write RFL. #6 Have a quitting notebook that you use often. #7 Have notes/quitting verses/prayers in your phone. #8 Use a daily planner to remind yourself of all the changes you want to make. #8 Put a rubber band on your wrist to remind you to pray a quitting prayer or to quote a quitting verse every half hour of the day.

Second, these ideas are how to put the Bible verse “Work out your salvation with fear and trembling,” into action.

Third, consider praying:

“Father, help me to put to death lust, and fill me with Your Spirit.”

Fourth, consider making a covenant with your eyes:

Job 31:1 ESV “I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could I gaze at a virgin?

Read the Word, do the Word, find joy.

Gordon 7

Either the Bible will keep you from sin, or temptation will keep you from the Bible. Let's join this Bible chapter where a man chooses lust instead of God's ways.

Proverbs 7:22 Immediately he went after her, as an ox goes to the slaughter,
Or [a]as a fool to the correction of the [b]stocks, 23 Till an arrow struck his liver.
As a bird hastens to the snare, He did not know it [c]would cost his life. Her house is the way to [d]hell, Descending to the chambers of death.”

Sexual sin “always” has long term consequences.

Many who do this do not die a physical death, so what dies? Emotions partially die, or are damaged. Anger breaks out, fear is boosted. Purpose dies or is damaged. When we choose other things over God's purpose and will, a place in our heart dies. We feel empty. We need something.

The Bible says “It would cost his life.” Why? One reason might be because now he/she has a new friend. A dark passenger who soon takes over driving. The dark passenger drives people into sin incessantly, until they are numb and depressed.

Second, many read this article, only a few read the key verses from Proverbs 7 until they have a proper fear of lust.

Third, someday I hope to be approached in heaven by a man who says:

“I read your article about Proverbs 7, then I read the key verses over and over again until I had them memorized word for word. From that day forward I started to understand the consequences. From that day forward I used the Bible as my tool to quit.”

Gordon 7

The Bible says “If the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.” Many reading this have heard this before, right before they went back. What happened? Does the Son pick and choose who He sets free?

The Bible says “If we abide in Christ and He abides in us, we can ask for anything we want, and receive it.” How can we make this verse true for us? #1 Ask to be set free. #2 Have Christ abide in you. If scripture is always on your mind, He is abiding in you.

What percentage of people would quit it they always quoted one of the verses for quitting every 30 minutes (When not busy). What percentage of people would quit if they always quoted one of the verses for quitting every other time every 30 minutes, and quoted any verse of their choice every other time every 30 minutes (When not busy)?

A massive percentage of people would quit if they quoted the verses for quitting every 30 minutes. A large percentage would also quit if they used the 2nd option.

Second, print out the verses for quitting so that you can easily access them. If you are always out and about, put them in your phone, or search “Verses lust” to get the same thing.

Third, consider what commitment will you make for quitting. A verse every hour, a verse every two hours?

Fourth, This commitment plus going to war with sin, plus submitting to His ways, are three key ways we abide in Christ.

Fifth, when we abide in Christ we can ask for other things as well. Then life gets good.

Gordon 7

A 20 year old person's life is going bad. They think, I could go back to _______ (Fill in your sin habit or habits). Today I am going to list 10 things we might miss out on when we go back. Note, everyone is different, you may be strong in some of these things, but everyone misses out on some of these things.

#1 Bad habits often make people miss out on good finances.

#2 Wrongful habits kill motivation to do productive things.

#3 Bad habits sometimes make relationships harder.

#4 Bad habits breed anger.

#5 Bad habits breed anxiety and fear.

#6 Bad habits cause emotional problems. Pray about your emotional problems. Ask God if they are connected to _____. You need to constantly remind yourself which problems your habit is causing you.

#7 You may have less friends. I was way more dark and depressed when I struggled. I had to put on an act to have friends.

#8 You will miss part or all of your purpose.

#9 You will miss part or all of the joy God has for you.

#10 You will miss part or all of the contentment, peace, love, as well as other gifts God has for you.

Second, think often about other things that you miss because of ______.

Third, consider pasting this into a Word file or Google doc and deleting the things that don't affect you, and adding new things that do affect you. Then consider studying that list often.

Fourth, why does God have His rules? So that you don't miss out on everything.

Gordon 7

Why is thinking right so important? Example, life knocks us down again. We want to think about our (bad) options. If we don't think about the Philippians command to “Think about these things, we will think in ways that start the big slide. Instead, consider often asking yourself this question:

“How can I think toward love?” If you are angry, forgive. If sad, praise the Lord. If frustrated with life, decide to make life better for people around you. How can I help others? If Christians would focus more on thinking “Toward love,” what would the church look like?

The Bible says to think about lovely things. Think about being a peacemaker. Think about valuing what is important to others so that you can show them a bit of God's love. Think about forgiving others. We are obeying what Philippians says to think about when we practice “Rapid forgiveness.” Consider praying:

“Father, help me to turn from lust and teach me the habit of rapid forgiveness.”

Here is an example of a lovely thought. “How can I promote love today?

Second, we all like a person who is “pleasant.” They are always nice and kind to others. They notice the good in the day and the beauty in the world. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to think about better things. Please change my thoughts.”

Consider picking two new thought patterns to think about from this list, then see how many times this week you can refocus your mind to thinking about things the Bible says to think about.

#1 How can I change my situation toward love?

#2 Rapid forgiveness is real love

#3 Can I be the person who is pleasant, positive, and nice?

#4 Can I act in a way that someone might see Jesus in me?

Great thoughts replace bad thoughts. How will you plan to think Bible thoughts?