THE BEST SPIRITUAL WAY TO FIGHT TEMPTATION

Gordon 7

Here are the next verses to pray over for 20 minutes.

1 Corinthians 6:12 ESV “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.

Titus 2:11-12 ESV For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,

To quit for good we need to have positive addictions. When we are first quitting we force ourselves to do alternative activities. We remind ourselves that they may not be great fun until we dry out mentally from our habit. We do these activities out of self-discipline in order to quit. But in order to quit for good we need positive addictions.

Example: We get a cheap keyboard and force ourselves to play it as a distraction idea. We also try softball, jogging, art, biking, or any of 1000 things as new activities to help us do other new things. But out of the many new activities we try, we find that we just start to love playing the keyboard, while that volleyball league that we joined... we hate that.

Now we have a great positive addiction. Severe temptation arises and we run to the verses for quitting. We settle down, and we play the keyboard some more. Maybe we learn some Christian music or hymns. Now our positive addiction has a great spiritual component as well.

Second, if you develop a positive addiction to something like helping out at church or becoming a big brother or big sister it will help you even more. Doing that combines positive addictions with purpose. When we combine those two we add a lot of “power” because the Holy Spirit is involved.

Think about positive addictions every day. Work on them often. They are a key to quitting.

Finally, complete all the daily steps listed on day one.

Gordon 7

Here are the next three verses to pray over for 20 minutes.

1 Timothy 6:11-12 ESV But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Proverbs 23:26-28 ESV
My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways. For a prostitute is a deep pit; an adulteress is a narrow well. She lies in wait like a robber and increases the traitors among mankind.

2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Gordon 7

Day 21

Here are the next verses to pray over for 20 minutes.

Psalm 51:1-19 ESV To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. ..

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Teen Challenge, now called Life Challenge has a 70% rate for quitting drugs and alcohol. But, there is a secret behind that statistic. When people stay in their Christian program for a full year they have a 70% rate for quitting. These stats don't include the people who did what they said for a while and then tried to live life the way they wanted.

Today I will cover the main categories of people who completed this program. First, some have completed it and are confident that they are done with lust, and want to advance as Christians from here. For these people, they will now pray a little less about addiction and pray more about doing God's will. They have experienced the greatness of God and they want life to always be this good. They are excited about finding their complete purpose. They still study scripture and pray an hour a day, but their prayers are changing.

The second category of people have gone through the program but ran into some trouble along the way. Maybe a lack of time to do everything. Maybe you just didn't get everything done every day.

If this is you, memorize the underlined sentence above, and go through the program again. It is wise to dig into the Bible and pray enough to start to find light and joy. If you are in this category you have seen glimpses of light and joy. And if you dig in even harder the light will get brighter and the joy will start to flow more and more.

The third category of people struggled with the program. It's hard to read a verse on lust, pray about it for a minute, and then read the next one. To do it right you would be reading each verse on average 3 times over the course of the 20 minutes.

Plus maybe you have other bad habits that lead you back to this one. In that case, consider adding more verses for quitting to your printouts. Do a Google search: “Verses drinking.” Substitute the sin that leads back to lust for your search. 2nd, find the Open Bible list of verses about fighting that sin.

With your new list, you can now start to form a habit of “always” going to your new verses when you are overwhelmed by the sin that leads you back to lust.

So, if you have dedicated yourself to quitting during this program you have learned a lot about God. Even if you are still confused about many things (I am) you have now seen a glimpse of how great life can be when we do things God's way.

Hopefully, you are not as addicted as I was. I probably would have needed to do the whole program 5 or 10 times to quit.

The more we do things Gods way, the better life is.

Gordon 7

Slip-ups happen, but how should we respond to them? In Matthew, the Bible says that blessed are those that mourn. When we lust our response should be to mourn that lust. We should consider bowing down and asking for forgiveness and spend time mourning. Here is how David responded:

Psalm 51:1-19 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness; according unto the multitude of Thy tender mercies, blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned and done this evil in Thy sight, that Thou mightest be justified when Thou speakest, and be clear when Thou judgest.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

11 Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and uphold me with Thy free Spirit.

15 O Lord, open Thou my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Thy praise.

17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.”

Notice that David did not just mourn for 1 or 5 minutes, he took a block of time to get right with God again. Consider praying and studying this chapter after a fall.

Second, it is very important to acknowledge your progress toward quitting after a fall. While you mourn, acknowledge if you made progress toward the habit of turning from lust, progress toward the habit of running to the verses for quitting, progress toward the habit of thinking new thoughts, progress toward the habit of going to war with sin, or progress toward the habit of any other positive Spiritual activity.

Third, if you have been working hard to quit, you may think: What I did, did not work. Don't say that, instead say...

”What I did started to work. What do I need to add to what I am doing to be even better? What do I need to change so that I allow no openings?

Finally, keep fighting, God knows your heart.

Gordon 7

Let's assume we made some progress toward quitting yesterday, so we think “Today will be easy.” Nope, the fight begins again today. Today I just realized that I continue to start down a wrong path every few days just like I always have. Then I realize that I am headed for disaster and I start to make adjustments.

It would be much wiser if I worked on making it a habit to reboot every day. Today, pick the two things that you struggle with the most. Things you have been working on. Today, decide to do an automatic reboot with these things every day for the rest of your life.

What two things start you down that slippery path most often? It could be what you look at, or TV shows that you choose. It could be an emotion, bad thought patterns, or another habit that leads to this habit. It could be any of 100 things. Pick two things that you often work on.

Example: Larry that looker has prayed 1000 times about watching clean TV, but once he forgets to pray about it for a few days... he is back to picking trash TV shows again.

Instead, he should reboot every day and start his fight with bad TV choices every single day. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to make it a habit to have a daily reboot.”

“Father, help me to make it a habit to work on _______, and ________ every day.”

My plan is to fill in the blanks, print out this page and pray these two prayers several times every day for the next few months until I make it a habit to do a daily reboot with my worst two things that lead me to lust the most.

Gordon 7

Become obsessed with figuring out how to take an article and then make it into a habit. I printed out the last article I wrote even though I wrote it. I printed it out because I want to make sure that I form a habit of going to war every day with the two things with lust that I struggle the most with. Now it's with my lists of verses for meditation that I look at virtually every day. Now I will be reminded every day this year to start my fight earlier each day in these two areas.

Second, how can you make it a habit to avoid temptation? It can be done if you have a great goal. My goal is to increase even more in joy. If you have that goal you could be inspired to set an hourly alarm to work on something important. Avoiding temptation is one of the keys to long-term joy.

Third, whenever you read an article that suggests a habit you don't have, write it down in a notebook. It is vital to be consistently reminded about the habits you want to acquire. Then prioritize them. Push the most important habits the hardest until they start to really become habits. Then gradually work on other things.

Gordon 7

Love is an action word. Christiananswers.net said: “It is goodness that one chooses to do on behalf of another, and it ultimately relies on faith and hope in God. True love is humble, righteous, forgiving, patient, generous, kind, and willing to endure personal loss and suffering.

Love is the opposite of self-absorption and selfishness, which are chiefly devoted to one’s own personal pleasure, benefits, welfare, and profit. Extreme selfishness is one of the traits of Satan, the devil—the enemy of God and mankind.”

Today, consider writing your own prayer rejecting lust and promoting love. Examples:

“Father, take away my spirit of lust, and help me to focus on righteousness.”

“Father, take away my spirit of lust, and help me to forgive.”

“Father, take away my spirit of lust, and help me to endure hard times by learning the habit of praising You.”

“Father, take away my spirit of lust, and help me to care about others.”

I have started a new forum to help people quit drinking and drugs. I need help from Christians who want to join and start posting to help others. I also would like to invite people who struggle in those areas to join. Please note: Wordpress passwords need 10 characters or more, and you need numbers, capitals, and special characters (@, #, *, etc.) Thx.

There are many quitting drinking/drugs forums out there, but they will immediately kick out anyone who quotes too many scriptures or worse yet, says to obey them.

Finally, if you want to promote this new site on Facebook or social media you can use this paragraph if you like it.

New Christian Forum

I almost never pressure people to quit drinking or drugs, but I support and help those who want to quit. Here is a new forum that will be updated consistently for Christians who want to quit drinking or drugs. Many have quit before, and this might be a helpful place if you want a new life. God bless.

Gordon 7

To resist satan we must humble ourselves, and submit to God. Crosswalk.com noted:

“Submitting to God means elevating his Word above our own desires, yielding ourselves to God’s revealed will in the Scriptures, and desperately calling to him in prayer to ask for “grace to help in time of need”

They also said that the devil can't overpower a person who is “submitting to and actively pursuing Jesus.”

They also make a great point regarding the armor of God passage:

“It is his strength (Ephesians 6:10) and his armor (Ephesians 6:11) that guards us against the devil’s fiery darts (Ephesians 6:16).”

We pray for his strength, we put on His armor, and we fight back with His Word.

Gotquestions.org noted:

“Using the Scriptures to expose Satan’s lies and temptations is the most effective way to strive against and defeat them. They continue: It is important to read the whole verse: “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you” (James 4:7). Resisting the devil must be accompanied by submitting to God. A disobedient or unsubmissive believer will not see victory.”

Solutions

Repent of our sinful desires. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to run from sinful pleasures. Teach me how to make You my pleasure.”

Second, put on the breastplate of righteousness. Consider praying:

“Father, show me how important it is to put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6). Help me to increase my fight against sin.”

Third, elevate His Word. Know it and quote it to satan.

Fourth, it is wise to yield ourselves to God's will.

Lastly, seek ye the Lord. I will repeat a sentence from above. The devil can't overpower a person who is “submitting to and actively pursuing Jesus.”

Gordon 7

We all have a sliding scale for our sins. If we have decided that lust is ruining us we go to war with it, but at the same time, we think another sin is not that big of a deal.

Is God right about everything? Is all sin bad? Are we going to miss out on something? Yep. Once again, I would make a horrible TV preacher.

Eve ate the apple. She did not miss out on the power trip that satan took her on after she ate it.

Notice, the sin that you and I think is not so bad is way worse than what she did. She ate an apple! That action caused a disaster!

God says “Don't do that sin” because he loves us and He knows how it will end.

Second, after some thought and prayer, we start to understand that all sin is bad. So we decide to pray about the sin that leads to lust. Then we go right back to that sin which then causes temptation to be at the maximum at all times for our main addiction.

What went wrong in that attempt? We are supposed to pray about that sin which leads back to lust. But we still don't have the habit of fighting temptation with the Bible when it starts to overcome us.

If excessive gambling (fill in the blank with your sin ________) is gripping us, we should be constantly praying about turning from it. But... we need to focus every day on making it a habit to “Study Bible verses on _____” when the temptation to gamble or _______ starts to overwhelm us.

Third, satan hates it when we praise the Lord. Consider praising the Lord every time you are tempted over the next three days (This is what I always do). Keep track of how often you are tempted over this period. For almost everyone, the temptation will go way down.

Gordon 7

C S Lewis said that satan doesn't mind it if we go to church. Background, the Bible commands us to honor the sabbath, so we should go to church. But what Lewis was writing about was Christians who go to church and then are not a shining light to anyone. Consider praying:
"Father, help me to increase my war against lust so that I can be a shining light."
Second, I always write about reading the verses for quitting. But when we study Jesus' temptation we see that He knew all of the verses. No matter what satan threw at him he knew exactly which verse would throttle the temptation.
Third, how long do we need to keep studying these verses? Until we "know" exactly what verse will defeat satan. My memory is terrible, but I can read these chains removing, powerful verses unlimitedly.
Fourth, how should we "view" the hard scriptures that demand change? We should view them as a lifeline saving us from continued destruction. View them as "The Answer," view them as our map, our GPS, and our guide that leads to the abundant life.

Gordon 7

My 30-day challenge is unique. Yes, we want to stay free for 30 days, but the challenge is really just as much about a massive increase in one quitting skill over the next 30 days. What is your #1 trigger? My #1 trigger was “Life runs me over, and now I have an excuse to run back to my habit.”

The challenge is to memorize 3 solutions that you can use to fight against your #1 trigger over the 30 days.

Second, to have written down 3 places where you “know” you can go to get 3 more solutions to fight that trigger.

Here is an example of what I did memorize for my trigger:

Life still runs me over, and I still “start” to spiral downward, but now when that happens I always have the habit of “Praising the Lord.” Here is the thing, you will get more help from the Lord if you praise the Lord.

Today, consider writing down 3 things that you will memorize to fight your #1 trigger. Then start to compile articles and Bible chapters or verses that are candidates for the 3 things that you can “find” when your trigger happens again. At the end of 30 days, you might have 8-12 candidates for your 3 go-to articles.

If you have 3 solutions memorized and 3 go-to solutions available in 30 days... you will have discovered a great thing.

Gordon 7

Proverbs 12:1 ESV
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.”

Consider praying: “Father, I will learn from Your reproof, please help me to love discipline. Consider setting an hourly alarm on your phone to remind you to read these verses and say this prayer if you want to acquire discipline.

Revelation 3:19 ESV
Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.”

Today, repent and start a zealous war against lust.

Today, turn from lust and consider picking one of the fruits of the Spirit to pray about and focus on. Galations 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.”

Today, plan how to increase discipline. It is a Godly trait.

Gordon 7

Henry Blackaby wrote in his book Experiencing God: “God is love, His will is always best. As you follow and obey Him, He will always direct you in ways that are best for you and for the world into which He calls you. Because God is all-knowing, you will never have to question the righteousness of His directions – even though they don't make sense. His directions are always right. Because God is all-powerful, you don't have to doubt your ability, strength, or resources to complete His assignments for you. He will enable you to accomplish all that He calls you to do.”
Consider praying: “Father, Your will is best for my life. Please show me Your will.”
Today, write out a 2-day plan and a 4-day quitting plan for how you will take more time to study the articles here as well as scriptures that will give you freedom.

Second, today, consider taking time to plan about praying more to know God's will.

Doing God's will leads to joy.

For the full article https://forum.nofap.com/index.php?threads/increasing-willpower.332413/

Gordon 7

I watched a video of a preacher who had been a huge male porn star. In the video, he said that 30 of his friends were now dead because of drug overdoses and suicides. The Bible says that “The wages of sin is death.” This preacher talked for two hours about what died for him (just about everything) because of porn.

But often a person who goes back to his P has no idea what dies or starts to die. He does not realize that his ability to fight back against anger partially died, his ability to fight back against fear partially died, or his ability to enjoy a simple TV show or walk in the park partially died. But what they do know is that their ability to have the fullness of joy went down, down, down, and now they are left frantically searching for a way to find joy and purpose again.

When a heroin addict sees a pile of heroin they see something beautiful, exciting, and irresistible. That's what my brother's son-in-law saw in his last bag. He did not wake up.

I am starting to understand a lust addiction. When I am at the beach, or watching TV and someone starts to show too much... I instantly look away. I am starting to see what the heroin addict missed. He was looking at darkness and death, but he thought he saw something beautiful. He was wrong. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to remember that darkness and death enter my life when I delay turning away.”

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!”

This week, consider setting an hourly alarm to remind yourself to instantly turn from lust. When the alarm sounds pray:

“Father, Remind me how to keep darkness and death out of my life. Help me to turn instantly from lust.”

Finally, satan wants you on the couch to fight porn while doing something close to nothing. When temptation starts pray, attack with key verses, and get out your list of activities as fast as you can move.

Gordon 7

What does the Bible say about doing God's will? Here are a few verses. There are many others.

Romans 12:2 ESV Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
One test to see if how you are renewing your mind is in God's will. Is the method from scripture?

1 Thessalonians 5:18 ESV Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Habit #1

1 Peter 2:15 ESV For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people.
Habit #2: God's will is to do good.

1 Thessalonians 4:3 ESV For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;
Habit #3

Matthew 6:10 ESV Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Habit #4: Pray often, “Lord what is Your will? Your will be done.|”

John 7:17 ESV If anyone's will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.

I never believe a word any spiritual leader says... unless a Bible verse backs up what they say.

Ephesians 5:17 ESV Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

Habit #5 Pray to be wise. “Father, fill me with Your wisdom.” I have prayed this prayer thousands of times.

Hebrews 10:36 ESV For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. Consider praying:

“Father, fill me with Your endurance. Help me to do Your will."

Second, when we do God's will we will receive what is promised.

Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Habit #6 Acknowledge God in all your ways. My dad always blamed God when anything good happened. Honestly, it was shocking how many good things happened to my dad.

Micah 6:8 ESV He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”
Habit #7 This verse tells us a portion of how we need to live to be in God's will. Consider memorizing this verse so that you can try to make these things a daily habit.

Set a goal to know God's will this year. Consider printing this out so that you can pray about and focus on these verses every day.

Finally, I am leaving the country for 1 week. I tried to reset my password here, but my old email also needed a reset and I am leaving this minute. I will only be posting at NoFap Christian this week. Please stay loyal to Reboot Nation (it is great) but next week's stuff will only be added when I get back.

Gordon 7

It is vital to understand life. Our lives last 500,000 years and longer. Our time on earth is just a speck of time in the overall spectrum of a very long life. The Bible says to store up "Treasures in heaven, not on earth." Why? Because Christians will be in heaven a 1000 times longer than we are on earth. Plus, that is how Jesus wants us to live.
Second, the Bible says that God will take care of our needs down here if we are focusing on His will. So, based on these facts it is wise to always strive to learn and do God's will, and to store up treasures in heaven.
Third, the first step is to analyze your current situation in life. If addictions currently rule your life, it is best to attack them aggressively but to still pray about God's will and purpose. But once you have started to make progress with bad habits, it is time to focus on treasures in heaven. Consider praying:
"Father, help me to focus on treasures in heaven."
Fourth, are we willing to do what God created us to do. Consider praying for 5 minutes about this.
Fifth, we know what is best for us in life. Right? We know better than... Oh wait, God knows better than us what is best for our lives. Choose today if you are willing to submit to what He wants you to do.
Once you submit to His will, praying will start to be powerful. The Bible will be alive and vibrant, and you will start to be filled with the Holy Spirit's shining light. Once you have activated Jesus to do something through you, you will start to get some directions toward God's will.
Today, determine to find that "One step" that God wants you to take today. Then, tomorrow, do it again. That is how we follow Jesus.

Gordon 7

Daily Bible study is a vital alternative activity because it allows God to talk to you, and start to live through you when you submit to Him. Today I read James One. Here is an example of how much we can learn from daily Bible study.

12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”

The Contemporary English version says: “12 God will bless you, if you don't give up when your faith is being tested. He will reward you with a glorious life, just as he rewards everyone who loves him.”

God will bless us when we keep fighting and don't give up.

15 “Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”

A good reminder of what happens if we keep sinning.

CEV 20 “If you are angry, you cannot do any of the good things God wants done.”

Anger often leads to an inability to fight temptation. Consider praying often:

“Father, take away this spirit of anger so that I can more effectively fight off sin.”

NIV 21 “Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent, and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.”

Fight sin, read the Bible, and accept the Word.

22 “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”

Consider memorizing V 22. I also liked the CEV: 22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.

25 “But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.”

Consider memorizing V 25. The perfect law gives us freedom. When we continue in it, and when we do it, we are blessed. What a great verse.

Make daily Bible study a habit. It is a key to quitting.

For the full article https://forum.nofap.com/index.php?threads/alternate-activities-are-vitally-importantly.324608/