20 Something Reboot

SmokenMirrors

Here is a passage written by @Blondie in his journal. Incredibly poignant and well written, you are indeed a lexical architect good sir!

'What we think we can do, and what we are capably of actually doing are often so far apart, that to sit at the crossroads of a being a new man, can sometimes cause some real cognitive dissonance. Although it's been almost a year, I still feel that old guy in my bones once in a while, especially in my thoughts, though to be sure he considerably shows his face less and less as time goes by. Thankfully, those old neurons of mine are slowly and inevitably rewiring, but I know they're still there, waiting for me to feel stressed, depressed, or happy (lol) and throw a punch at me when off my guard. Change is possible, and I'm living proof of that, but it's a real slow process, like a log flowing slowly down a river, getting stuck in whirlpool every so often, but winding down the river nonetheless.

So if you feel like you're making no progress in your recovery and think you're constantly stuck in the whirlpool of your former self, maybe it's time to stop trying so hard to have a perfect "recovery" and just sit back and go with the flow. You need to know deep down inside that you ARE a new man and that this sudden change of direction is only a temporary diversion to make you think you ARE not. Please remember, I beg of you, that you are miles away from where you first started this journey up the river, and this seemingly "hugh" eddy is only in your head, and tomorrow you'll be floating down the river as a free man again. Further, you need to know that eventually, those damned eddies will become less and less until they entirely disappear and you'll wonder what the big fuss was ever about.

Breath - relax - and know that the river makes no mistakes.'

SmokenMirrors

@SmokenMirrors I just joined and am on day 1 of my reboot today. You're progress is so encouraging and I appreciate you candidly sharing. Congratulations! The positivity in this forum has got me excited for what's ahead instead of dreading it.
Thank you for the kind words brother! I'm glad that I can be of assistance! We should all be a little more excited about our reboots, they pave the way to a healthy mind! If you ever feel like you're struggling, drop me a message!

Ezel

Respected Member
Yeah man mo sometimes can be a pain in the azz, you need definitely to keep it under control...
Stay safe and keep doing your thing...

First_step_thousand_miles

Hey my man -- as someone who experienced some mild depression in the past (was pretty close to taking antidepressants but fortunately the changes I implemented in my life healed me), couple things to look into:

Most people in the West are deficient in both Vitamin D and Magnesium (both CRUCIAL to mental health). Would recommend you get blood work done at your primary care doctor and see if you are one of those. If so, then supplement with those.

The other MAJOR supplement which everyone should take -- mental health challenges or not -- is fish oil. Hugely beneficial to mental health (as effective as antidepressants) and overall well being -- this is the closest thing to a miracle drug I've ever come across. Totally safe and works wonders

Aside from this the biggest things I can recommend are sleep (7-8hrs per night) and moderate-vigorous intensity exercise (at least 2.5hrs per week, try for 5hrs LT). All of these are clinically proven to improve mental health and are long-term solutions (vs. meds which may not be, might lose potency, etc), none of this is some old wives tale stuff haha. Do your own research on all of this, you'll find all of what I've said is well-accepted (only wish more people knew about it)

The final thing is just trying to fix the root cause -- identify what in your life you're not happy about and fix them (i.e. losing weight, building more relationships, finding a satisfying career track, etc)

I'm happy to say I no longer have anxiety / depression after doing the stuff above. You will beat this my man.

SmokenMirrors

Hey my man -- as someone who experienced some mild depression in the past (was pretty close to taking antidepressants but fortunately the changes I implemented in my life healed me), couple things to look into:

Most people in the West are deficient in both Vitamin D and Magnesium (both CRUCIAL to mental health). Would recommend you get blood work done at your primary care doctor and see if you are one of those. If so, then supplement with those.

The other MAJOR supplement which everyone should take -- mental health challenges or not -- is fish oil. Hugely beneficial to mental health (as effective as antidepressants) and overall well being -- this is the closest thing to a miracle drug I've ever come across. Totally safe and works wonders

Aside from this the biggest things I can recommend are sleep (7-8hrs per night) and moderate-vigorous intensity exercise (at least 2.5hrs per week, try for 5hrs LT). All of these are clinically proven to improve mental health and are long-term solutions (vs. meds which may not be, might lose potency, etc), none of this is some old wives tale stuff haha. Do your own research on all of this, you'll find all of what I've said is well-accepted (only wish more people knew about it)

The final thing is just trying to fix the root cause -- identify what in your life you're not happy about and fix them (i.e. losing weight, building more relationships, finding a satisfying career track, etc)

I'm happy to say I no longer have anxiety / depression after doing the stuff above. You will beat this my man.
Already ticked those boxes! Hence why I'm coming off them! I need to look into fish oil and magnesium though! I'm only taking vit D and zinc atm. Thank you for the advice bro!