Questions about Meditation?

Skittelz

How do you meditate? I have heard a lot of people talk about how good for you it is, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of instruction. The YouTube videos I've watched seemed pretty weird with a lot of talking and yet overall uniforming.

I have been trying to meditate for a few months now, in the morning before I walk the dogs. I just focus on my breathing and try to stay with each breath, for about 15 minutes. I can't tell if I am doing it right, or what changes I should even be looking for.

So how do you guys meditate?

downhillfromhere

Yeah, I would recommend trying an app like Headspace or Waking Up to get started. It takes a while to get into it, and I agree that it’s hard to know if you’re doing it right.

But I guess one of the realisations I’ve had is that meditation is not something you do, but rather that you cease to do anything. Don’t force yourself to stop thinking, but try to be aware of what’s going on and return to focusing on your breath once you realise you’ve started drifting off.

This circle of starting thinking, drifting off, noticing and then returning to the breath is a huge part meditation, and it’s a way that you can process thoughts in a healthy way.

TryingHarder

How do you meditate?
Meditation means different things to different people; there's no one way to meditate. Generally speaking, mediation is taking some quiet time to close your eyes, breathe deeply, perhaps recite some mantras (phrases that mean something, such as "I am calm" or "my worries are fading away"). Keep in mind that - despite how simple it might sound - mediation is actually not easy until you get the hang of it. Our minds are constantly chattering away with all kinds of thoughts and trying to still those ideas isn't always easy.

This article might help