successful recovery

jay-man

Hi peeps. Recovered PA here. Have been on the forum in the past under an old email. Was addicted for many years and worked on recovery for many years. I did a few courses (Mark Queppet, Noah Church, Fight the new Drug - some that come to mind), read probably over 100 self help books, got into zen, meditation and mindfulness, I now approach sex in a tantric/ non-goal orientated way, and I speak to an affordable therapist on 'better help' once a week. I also use Covenant Eyes, so my phone and computer activity is accountable to my wife.

There was no quick fix. All the work I did was accumulative. After a lapse, I would feel hopeless, but the truth was, I was on the right path, getting better. By reading books on zen, I was able to let go of my ego a bit. I care so much about what people think of me, so there was a lot of shame around this issue. All the courses say, 'tell your spouse, or a person close to you, don't fight this alone,' but I couldn't manage that. But having read all that stuff about dropping the ego, after another lapse and feeling like I was at rock bottom, I told my wife - wasn't easy, but we moved forward together. I didn't even want to sign up for an online course because I didn't want to reveal my information. Courses aren't cheap either, but the creators put a lot of time into them and they're worth it. picking up 'top five' tips from a forum is one thing, but getting a step by step set of instructions from someone who has formulated a path is another. No 1 course got me to where I wanted to be, but they all helped. Committing to a course, parting with money, telling my spouse, they are all things I put off. The delay made my recoverey years longer than it could have been, but I had to find my way, and I'm grateful I made it.

If you're feeling hopeless, keep the faith. by being here, you're on the right path.

Daybyday1988

I also use Covenant Eyes, so my phone and computer activity is accountable to my wife.

Covenant eyes is the best! im almost 90 days clean for the first time in my life because of this and I have a great accountability partner. glad to see someone else having success with it too!

Thank you for sharing! And congratulations on your recovery!! Posts like yours are an inspiration to all of us starting the road to recovery.
Kudos to you!