Weightlifting Thread

Rich212

Hey guys. One thing I have found to really help during a reboot is going to the gym and lifting iron. Hence this thread is for all things gym/weightlifting related. Feel free to share experiences, resources, hints and tips. Let's get this thing going!

I'll start off by saying that recently I have been going to the gym a lot more and am starting to really enjoy it. The benefits are definitely spreading into other areas of my life. Training yourself to be disciplined is an obvious result, although there are others. But for me one of the best feelings is waking up at 6am, having an ice cold shower then setting a personal best at the gym. I feel unstoppable for the rest of the day. On the subject of cold showers, if you haven't tried them already, do so. The mental/physical rush is amazing!  :)

Promise

I just put this in my journal thread, but it's relevant, so I think I'll re-post it here:

Luckily my room is big enough to allow for a little floor space for me to lie down on, and a bench for presses and stuff.  I've got a bench, a pull up bar you hang over a door frame, adjustable dumbbells, a few smaller hexagonal dumbbells (for when you need just a small amount of weight) some 1lb leg weights and some little things shaped like irons which help you go deeper in pushups :3

If you want to get into lifting, I really recommend Scooby.  His physique is a little bulky for my liking, but by jove he knows his stuff.  And he's pretty much the nicest guy on the internet.  If you're an absolute beginner, start here:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

According to Scooby's own words, if you can do 10 good push-ups and 3 good pull-ups then try this plan:
http://scoobysworkshop.com/intermediate-workout-plan/

If you really want to get into lifting I think it's totally worth getting some adjustable dumbbells and a sturdy pull-up bar you can hang over a door frame.  There have been times when I havn't used them for weeks, but I always come back to them, and I've certainly got my moneys worth out of them.  It's a very rewarding way to spend your free time.  Especially if you like a bit of pain and gain  ;D

jnv

I started lifting weight 4-5 years ago (I took materials from scoobysworkshop as well) and it kind of worked too well to my tastes. I took lots of muscles, but.... to much compared to what I initialy wanted because I became really bulky and it is not at all what I'm looking for. My T-shirts started to become really tight and I started to look like a bodyguard so I did lots of cardio (swimming and biking mainly )for a long period just to try and burn that mass.

I prefer staying supple and slim but toned rather than being really bulky and massive so I've started from scratch again ( I am at week 13 in the program) but this time with body weight exercices with the "Lafay Method" (it's a book written by a French nutritionist and athlete but you can find books about body weight workout in all languages => http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142176151)

What I prefer with bodyweight exercices is:
-I can control much easier how my muscles develop because the workouts consist of low amplitude combined with very fast repetitions. If, for example, I think my triceps are big enough, I just stop adding reps to some exercices.
-I can do it almost for free. I just bought the book (25?) installed a bar to the wall for pull-ups and all you need to get started are 2 chairs and 1 table.
-I can do it at home regardless of the weather. (this is a huge plus since I live in Belgium and it rains A LOT here...)
-The book is devided into 13 levels from total newbie to Wolverine type of guys with 1 handed push-ups and it is very progressive because they tell you how long you need to stay at each level.
-There are transitional levels which you can stay at for as long as you want based on what you want to achieve. (for example, if you don't want to take muscles but rather want to be stronger, you can stay at lvl 4 forever)

I think the choice of the different methods only depends on what type of body you have and what you want to achieve. If you are the type of skinny/slim guy who can eat a lot without getting big, weight lifting is definitely the way to go. If you are like my and that your body easily transforms everything you eat into muscles when you lift heavy at the gym, then give bodyweight a try.

ps: I agree with Promise about Scooby. He truly knows what he is talking about. I took many stuff from his website, especially what is related to diet and how to eat properly to get the best out of your sessions.