Book Recommendation *****

Poker

As I read more and more journals every day, I notice a few things in some mirror my experience.  Many of you (like me) didn't have the best childhood.  I had great parents, but broken parents.  They had their own demons, and it becomes a cycle....    Well, I was advised of a book early this year by my counsellor, and it has been a life changer.  Every bit as much of a life changer as YBOP and RN have been.....  and they have been.

I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression by Terrence Real

http://books.google.ca/books?id=t1oTjCzKPEsC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

My thing is.....  yes I have a PMO addiction.  And, I'd still have depression and demons of my own if I didn't have a PMO addiction.  My battle is 2-fold.  This book was a game changer for me and I highly recommend it.

Synopsis
A revolutionary and hopeful look at depression as a silent epidemic in men that manifests as workaholism, alcoholism, rage, difficulty with intimacy, and abusive behavior by the cofounder of Harvard's Gender Research Project. Twenty years of experience treating men and their families has convinced psychotherapist Terrence Real that depression is a silent epidemic in men-that men hide their condition from family, friends, and themselves to avoid the stigma of depression's "un-manliness." Problems that we think of as typically male-difficulty with intimacy, workaholism, alcoholism, abusive behavior, and rage-are really attempts to escape depression. And these escape attempts only hurt the people men love and pass their condition on to their children. This ground breaking book is the "pathway out of darkness" that these men and their families seek. Real reveals how men can unearth their pain, heal themselves, restore relationships, and break the legacy of abuse. He mixes penetrating analysis with compelling tales of his patients and even his own experiences with depression as the son of a violent, depressed father and the father of two young sons.

Twenty years of experience treating men and their families has convinced psychotherapist Terrence Real that depression is a silent epidemic in men -- that men hide their condition from family, friends, and themselves to avoid the stigma of depression's "un-manliness." Problems that we think of as typically male -- difficulty with intimacy, workaholism, alcoholism, abusive behavior, and rage-are really attempts to escape depression. And these escape attempts only hurt the people men love and pass their condition on to their children. This ground breaking book is the "pathway out of darkness" that these men and their families seek. Real reveals how men can unearth their pain, heal themselves, restore relationships, and break the legacy of abuse. He mixes penetrating analysis with compelling tales of his patients and even his own experiences with depression as the son of a violent, depressed father and the father of two young sons.

Cheers,

p

Bear Grylls - A survival guide for life

Mindfulness in Plain English - Bhante Gunaratana

I'll grab i dont want to talk about it,looks good.

marsturm

"The Serenity Principle" - Joe Bailey
"The Relationship Handbook" - George Pransky

Thanks for this thread, Poker! Be well.

ntg2978

The Search For the Real Self by James Masterson (really good book on the false self, which is what we create in order to protect the real self from hurt/pain - a real eye opener)

Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz (not so much on addictive cycles, but more on the self-image and how to manage it)

Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins (an overall great book on improving the quality of your life; tony robbins is my hero)