Add to at least 5 journals

Poker

Gentlemen.... if you're looking for support, be of support to at least 5 people.

Cheers!

p.

Dharmabum

An old Zen parable:

The student said, "I am very discouraged.  What should I do?"

The master said, "Encourage others."

Poker

Exactly!

I'm lucky...  I have great support from the board.  Others post, and quit if they don't get a reply.

Don't quit...  Instead support someone.  A quick " hey, you can do this" or share a similar experience of yours.

That being said, I myself am just coming out of a very dark period of my life...  I would go a week at a time where I just couldn't find the words to support anyone else, even though I know I should.  That's cool.  A lot guys go through these periods.

You are not alone.  Just try to be of encouragement when you can.  Touch base on your journal no matter what. The good, the bad, and ugly...

Good luck gentlemen.  You all deserve recovery and support.

Cheers,

p. 

LTE

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I certainly agree. During the rough patches I found that posting and helping others made things much better for me.

Dharmabum

At the risk of alienating some of the long time vets of this page, one thing I've tried to do over the past month is find posts where someone has only a handful of responses and look for something to say to them, be it a quick welcome or a specific response.  Not to ignore the guys who have been on here longer and have lots of responses, but just as a way of letting someone newer know that there's value in sticking around.

I jumped ship here once or twice before because I didn't get a lot of traction on my posts, but I made two mistakes:  (1) I didn't post enough to really open up the doors of communication and (2) I didn't reach out to help others, I only wanted to see what others had to say to me.  Once I shifted my perspective in these two areas, I've found generous and kindhearted support, and have felt like I've actually made a difference to a few others folks posting here. 

Nothing feels better than being on a journey like this and knowing you're not alone.  Same way with my 12 step group.  First time, I didn't fellowship.  I went, I shared, I left.  Now I am striving to get to know people and make connections.  Investment in our own sobriety and the sobriety of others gives us leverage.
Not that anyone here can show up at your door to ask where you've gone if you suddenly drop off this site, but you're a lot less likely to do so if you feel like you've met people with whom you can share your slip-ups, your heartaches, and your progress. 

I spend 30+ minutes here each morning, which is roughly half of what I spent each morning racing around the internet looking for kinky videos.  Take Facebook out of the equation (which I have) and you may have time to add to five journals, write your own, and start that novel you've always wanted to write.  ;-)

Onward, guys.  Together, we are capable of so much.  On our own, we invite unnecessary struggles.

Poker

And that's it exactly.....  That's why I started this thread.  I don't want people jumping ship.....  but at the same time, it only a handful are reaching out to others, then people feel alienated and left out. 

I don't expect everyone to have all the answers.  But a I simple, "I feel you man..."  of "same thing with me..."  or anything.  Reach out....  It helps everybody. 

Cheers,

p.