A Portrait of the Addict as a Young Man

daedalus

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this whole Reboot thing.  I found another forum through YBOP, but to be honest, I'm gay, and this one seemed more inclusive to different situations.  So here I am.

I'm 25, and I've been addicted to P since I was about 9 years old.  It's really crazy to think that I've had this problem for most of my life.  It started as an idle curiosity, but it quickly became a big problem.  When I was in high school, I had other family problems, which led me to start cutting myself.  My mom decided to get help from a Christian therapist.  When she found out that I'd been looking at P, she told my counselor about it.  They both seemed more concerned with the fact that it was gay, and not that it was an addiction to P.  That's when we stopped doing therapy for depression and started doing conversion therapy.  I felt so isolated and trapped, that to be honest, my only solace at the time was in P.  It became a game figuring out a way to view it without anybody finding out.

I was still battling the addiction when I started college, but by that time the severity of my usage was changing from season to season.  I met my first and only boyfriend just after my 22nd birthday, and I fell head-over-heels for him almost instantly.  At the time, my addiction was not rearing its ugly head like it normally does, so I decided to swear off P for good.  I had a boyfriend, and I was happy with him.  I reasoned that the only reason I looked at it was because I had been alone.  I managed to go about four months without it before I relapsed, and I never went back to normal.  Once again, I tried to "reason" it out.  We were both working students, and we lived about a 45 minute drive from each other, so we couldn't see each other every day of the week.  To me, it seemed acceptable that I (secretly) watch P on days that I knew we weren't going to see each other.

As far as I know, the Boyfriend never found out about my addiction.  However, that doesn't mean that it didn't have negative effects.  The biggest physical problems were on days following a marathon session.  I would sometimes spend as much as 8-10 hours in the P "vortex," going into the early hours of the morning.  He would come over later that morning, and naturally, I just wouldn't have it in me to get it up.

A year ago, I moved from my home in California to NYC to get my PhD.  Boyfriend and I decided to do long distance, but obviously, this is never an easy task.  In addition to feeling lonely without him, I felt isolated and depressed in general.  I didn't have many friends, my studies were eating up most of my time, I had bedbugs, and the city just felt cruel and miserable.  As I got more depressed, I found the pull of my addiction becoming stronger and stronger.  Even as I became more acclimated to my new life, I couldn't pull myself out of the cycle.

At the beginning of this summer, I went back home to visit for a few weeks, and two weeks in my boyfriend broke up with me.  I was devastated, confused, and depressed once again.  Over almost 4 years he had become my best friend and partner, and one sudden day, he was gone.  Since that happened, about 6 weeks ago, my addiction has been out of control.  Sometimes I'd stay in my room all day and watch P.  I was completely aware of the hold that it had on me, but at the same time I felt powerless to stop it.  Two days ago, after a marathon session lasting from 7 PM to 6:30 AM, I realized that I couldn't do it anymore.  This wasn't about my breakup; this was about me.  I had to stop at all costs.

~​

Typically, the time that I feel the most shame and guilt about what I'm doing is right after I finish.  I swear to myself that tomorrow is going to be different, and I'm going to stop.  And then the next day, I'm back at it.  This time, I decided to take advantage of that temporary remorse, and start seriously looking up ways to stop it.  In spite of having stayed up all night to satisfy my addiction, I decided that I wasn't going to sleep until I had a concrete plan for recovery.  So I looked up everything I could about how to stop it.  I finally went to bed, and about 8 hours later I immediately went to work implementing my plan.  I sent up multiple internet web blockers, like OpenDNS, K9, and Self-Control.  Obviously the last one is only temporary, but as soon as I start thinking about P, I immediately put it on the 24-hour setting.  For K9, I made the longest, most complicated password that I could; then I wrote it down, and taped it on the back of the dresser in my closet.  The dresser is heavy, so it's difficult to pull away from the wall.  I know that these aren't fool-proof methods, but they sure as hell make it inconvenient to undo.

Additionally, I made a list of goals I have for this summer:
  • Do research for my thesis.
  • Apply for at least two full-time jobs each day.
  • Study Spanish for at least 1 hour each day.
  • Run 5 days each week.
  • Turn off my computer by 11 each night. (I've had insomnia for the last month, so this kills two birds with one stone.)

I've also made a short list of activities to do when I'm either feeling depressed or feeling the urge to look at P:
  • Go for a run.
  • Do yoga.
  • Read a non-academic book.
  • Call a friend.
  • Read a success story on here.
  • Listen to a podcast in Spanish (to help with my earlier goal).

So that's the gist of it.  I know that was a long story, but hopefully writing about all of this will help in the long run.  I'm going to bed when I finish writing, and that will mark the end of day two.  I look forward to recovering, and to hearing the stories of other people here.  If you have any advice, feedback, concerns, or thoughts, I'm always glad to hear them.

Sincerely,
Daedalus

daedalus

Today marks day three of no PMO, and day two of being part of Reboot Nation.  To be honest, the first two days weren't that difficult.  At first, I was determined to quit, and I actually enjoyed making plans to accomplish this goal.  Today, I tried focusing on other things: studying Spanish, applying to jobs, taking a walk, etc.  However, I think as the night has progressed, I've noticed the urge creep up, growing a little bit stronger with each passing hour.  I have my web blockers in place, and I started Self-Control when I started considering the consequences of "taking one last look."  I keep feeling that twinge in my groin, if you know what I mean.  But I won't let it take over.  I won't let it control me.

This morning I woke up after a bad dream.  I was feeling depressed about my relationship, even though we broke up 6 weeks ago.  Instead of relieving myself with a PMO, I forced myself out of bed and into activity.  I reminded myself of what good has come out of the past couple days.  I reminded myself that I am getting better.

I've made it another day without PMO.

I've been productive today.

I got outside for a few minutes.

I made myself feel good.

I was in control.

--

After I finish my post, I'll be going to bed.  I'm drinking medicinal tea right now to help with my insomnia problem.  I have turned down the lights in my room to get my body and mind ready for bed.  Instead of watching TV or using media to wind down, I will read another chapter of my book.  When I go to bed, I'll also be turning off my computer, wrapping it up in a t-shirt, and putting it in a drawer in my closet.

I want it to be as far away as possible tonight.

daedalus

Alright, it's been almost 4 days since I gave up PMO for good.  Honestly, I felt even more depressed today than yesterday, and my insomnia last night was even worse.  Yet I pushed myself to apply for several jobs this afternoon.  That's something I know I wouldn't have spent time doing if the PMO cycle hadn't ended.  After my breakup, the addiction skyrocketed to an almost everyday, multi-hour fantasy excursion.  I'll be able to write that down on tomorrow morning's "accomplishments" list.  My main goal for tomorrow is just to get outside for a few hours.  I'm already going out to work in the morning, so maybe I'll just come straight home, change, and go for a run.

Reading more about the reboot process, I've learned that I need to keep all thoughts of P, and even sex, as far away as possible.  I'm the type of person who will resort to intense fantasizing if left without my "source material."  Just reading about not looking at P started getting me excited (though without erection), so I think distracting myself will help in this early phase.  However, I'm definitely going to keep writing and responding on here.  I need support in order to get through this.

The bright side is that, while the desire to view came and went throughout the day with full force, my temptation didn't feel as strong.  That won't go on my accomplishments list, because I don't want to be reminded about P all day tomorrow, but writing it here will give me something to look back on and remember during the hardest days.

Time to put the computer far, far away and finish my nighttime routine.  If anyone is reading this, I wish you the best of luck and a good night.

Until tomorrow,
Daedalus

A

Absalom

daedalus said:
Alright, it's been almost 4 days since I gave up PMO for good.  Honestly, I felt even more depressed today than yesterday, and my insomnia last night was even worse.  Yet I pushed myself to apply for several jobs this afternoon.  That's something I know I wouldn't have spent time doing if the PMO cycle hadn't ended.  After my breakup, the addiction skyrocketed to an almost everyday, multi-hour fantasy excursion.  I'll be able to write that down on tomorrow morning's "accomplishments" list.  My main goal for tomorrow is just to get outside for a few hours.  I'm already going out to work in the morning, so maybe I'll just come straight home, change, and go for a run.
I often feel worse during the first days of a reboot, but I've gone long enough without P in the past to say that it will not last forever. I don't know if this is part of the reason why you're feeling worse, but might hold true anyways. Hope you feel better.

Reading more about the reboot process, I've learned that I need to keep all thoughts of P, and even sex, as far away as possible.  I'm the type of person who will resort to intense fantasizing if left without my "source material."  Just reading about not looking at P started getting me excited (though without erection), so I think distracting myself will help in this early phase.  However, I'm definitely going to keep writing and responding on here.  I need support in order to get through this.
I definitely think taking a break from all sexuality is helpful, seems many successfully rebooted people have done this. Have you been able to manage it successfully?

The bright side is that, while the desire to view came and went throughout the day with full force, my temptation didn't feel as strong.  That won't go on my accomplishments list, because I don't want to be reminded about P all day tomorrow, but writing it here will give me something to look back on and remember during the hardest days.

Time to put the computer far, far away and finish my nighttime routine.  If anyone is reading this, I wish you the best of luck and a good night.

Until tomorrow,
Daedalus
Good luck, I suspect you'll do well.

Anders

You've been doing really well so far, keep it up  8)

Don't lose faith if you slip. It's all part of the process.

daedalus

Thanks for the support guys!  I haven't given in yet.  I meant to write an entry yesterday, too.  However, I somehow managed to make myself tired in spite of the insomnia, and I wanted to make sure to follow that into dreamland.

I've noticed that my temptation to look has subsided the past couple of days.  There are moments when I think about PMO, but the urge to actually do it has waned.  However, I have noticed that the past couple days I've also hit the dreaded "flatline."  I haven't really talked about ED yet, so I'll give you a short history:

I never thought I had P induced ED, because I never thought I had it at all.  Yes, there were times when I had trouble getting it up or reaching climax, but it typically happened while having sex less than 24 hours after a long PMO session.  However, even on good days, it typically took a very long time to climax, and usually it was best finished with my own hand.  But since the flag could still rise, it didn't seem like a big problem.  It really hit me a couple months ago when it started going soft all the time: during sex, even when I'd waited a full 24 hours to recover; sometimes after a few minutes into my routine PMO sessions.  It started to get really embarrassing, so I would fantasize more than usual about P while I was in the act with my partner.  So long story short, I know now that I had it before, and the problem I've had the past few months has been a mere worsening of the symptoms.

Having totally flatlined the past few days, I have even stronger confirmation.  I don't even seem to get as strong of morning wood as I used to.  There's a little something there, but it acts like even my wood isn't fully awake.  Part of me wonders if that's been contributing to my decreasing urges to look at P.  There's just no reason to, haha.  Anyway, I really hope it doesn't last a long time, but I know people have varying degrees of success with the ED aspect.

Thanks again for reading and responding,
Daedalus

Good luck man, you're doing really well so far. I'm finishing day 3 right now, and I know the first week-2 weeks is the hardest.

Hate to hear about the situation with your significant other, but just think about how much better you will feel after you finish the reboot, and you'll be able to find another one in a heartbeat.

I had ED some too, I've been PMOing for about 13 years now, heavy the middle 8 years, and I'm finally doing a reboot with monthly sex with my GF. There were literally over a dozen times in HS/college where I had a different beautiful girl in front of me and couldn't get it up, settling for a measly HJ(BJ if I was lucky), and most of the time, nothing. Very embarrassing. Had to use my imagination too, I could never just enjoy sex even the few times I had it. A lot of them thought I was gay, and that was really depressing(bc I'm not, and of course I meant no offense to you. Might could compare that to your boyfriend/s thinking you were straight bc you couldn't get it up lol).

Anyways, keep up the good work. I once had a successful 30 day quit  and the only thing that got me through it was keeping a journal on a forum. Unfortunately I stopped doing the journal, and eventually started back binging. KEEP FIGHTING THROUGH IT.

daedalus

Haha, I definitely never had a problem with guys thinking I was straight, but I'm sure they thought other bad things, like that maybe they weren't attractive.  It's kind of sad now that I think about it.  We probably contributed to other people's low self-esteems, when we were the ones with the problem!  I know how frustrating it is for people to think you're something that you're not, but it's gonna be better now that you're rebooting again.  We're both gonna be better =)

I honestly can't believe I've made it almost a week.  I mean, there have been other times when I went several days, or maybe a week, without it, but usually it was because I was so busy there just wasn't time.  And even then, I would be eager to jump right back in as soon as I had the spare time.  Not PMOing has really given me a chance to get my priorities straight this week.  I'm even noticing an improvement in my insomnia!  I've also forced myself to go running and do yoga the past couple days, in addition to the other stuff on my to do list (job apps, practicing Spanish, etc).  Being active has really helped reduce the tension enough to stay away.

The depression is probably here to stay for a while, but by forcing myself out of my room and off my computer throughout the day, I think it will improve soon.  Instead of just trying to make myself think positively, I'm trying to generate new positivity to think about.

Alright, time to lock the computer away and turn in for the night.

Day seven, signing out:
Daedalus

daedalus

Alright, I don't wanna be on here long, since it's past my computer time.  But today has been much better.  I kept myself somewhat busy today.  I made sure to run this evening, so that I'd be able to blow off all that energy and feel better in general.  Overall, I'd say that day eight has been pretty good.  Thanks for the continuing support, and have a goodnight.

-Daedalus

fugu

Staff member
Hey man, it's great to have you here. A reboot will definitely do you lots of good! You're over a week in now? That's great!

The beginning had lots of ups and downs for me, but that al begins to level out. I love the running idea - it helps a ton with insomnia and any withdrawals you may experience. Nothing helps sleep and calms anxiety like a long, tough run. :D

Keep going man!

Hey Daedalus,

Great journal, and it's interesting to see that you set yourself daily targets. I found this part of your previous posts interesting.

Reading more about the reboot process, I've learned that I need to keep all thoughts of P, and even sex, as far away as possible.  I'm the type of person who will resort to intense fantasizing if left without my "source material."  Just reading about not looking at P started getting me excited (though without erection), so I think distracting myself will help in this early phase.

I think it's something I can relate to, because in my previous attempts at no PMO, upon reflection, the same thing was happening to me.

Intrigued to see how long it takes for your insomnia to improve.

daedalus

I can't believe that I've made it this long without an MO.  My original intention was to make it 30 days without a PMO, and then extend my goal longer once I made it to that goal.  But after reading about more about my problems, I decided to reduce my MO as much as possible to prevent fantasizing about P (and probably moving on to P within a few minutes).  I haven't really been keeping strict track of my progress, because I want to avoid thinking about it when possible, so whenever I come on here, I'm totally wowed by the number.  It's small, yes, but hey!  I'm fully in the double digits!  The temptation to give in is still present, but I can feel my willpower getting a bit stronger each day.  I've been running 5 days a week and doing yoga 2-3 days a week to help curb the urges and battle the insomnia, and I'm noticing some improvements there, too.

I did have one situation two days ago where I nearly gave in.  I had been shopping for clothes online, and I came across the underwear section.  It wasn't a big deal at first, because I was actually looking for some, but I started noticing myself get aroused by the models wearing them.  However, as soon as I realized that I was on the verge of a PMO incident, I turned off my computer and went for my daily run.  It helped clear my head and circulate my blood flow elsewhere in my body.  Anyway, that's the closest I've gotten to looking at P in a while, so I'm proud of myself for getting through it.

-Daedalus

daedalus

Well, I can't believe I've almost made it 2/3 of the way to my initial goal. I've definitely been having some ups and downs with my temptations, but sticking to an exercise/studying/job hunting routine has kept my mind off of PMO more often than not. I haven't really been on here at all this week, mainly because I've been busy in the evening, either hanging out with friends or catching up on tasks that didn't get done on my schedule. My goal was to post on here each night before bed. Right now I'm out of town visiting a friend for the weekend. I'll obviously make it another couple days without PMO--which is kind of funny. I was visiting another friend about 5-6 weeks ago, and even without MO, I still was sneaking P on my phone at night. Now, even while battling temptations in other spheres, I know that in this one, it's something I can easily manage without.

I'll try to at least post a short entry tomorrow, but if not, I'll work this back into my routine starting Monday. There's definitely more I'd like to say in detail about my struggles when I get the chance.

-Daedalus

daedalus

It's pretty late tonight. I was out at a theme park with the friends I'm visiting, and we just got home. However, I wanted to make sure I keep up my habit of posting here regularly.

Today was a good day. Only thought of PMO once today, but I was able to push it aside. I did briefly text an exchange with someone I'm planning to hook up with on Tuesday. I'm a bit nervous, as I'll only be at day 22 of my 30 day Reboot initiation. To tell the truth, I'm not 100% sure I'll even go through with it. He's really cute, but 1) I haven't been with anyone since my ex dumped me, and despite it being 2 months ago, it still hurts a lot; 2) I was kind of excited about making it 30 days without even MOing; and 3) I've read the stories about people relapsing when they have sex or MO for the first time after a reboot.

At the same time, I know that healthy sex with a real person can--at some point in the process--help us move away from P and back into feeling excited about real life partners. Also, I know I'm just hooking up with this person; don't plan on ever having a relationship with him, and maybe having fun with new people will allow me to accept things and move on sooner. Hopefully. As for the problem with relapsing, I do plan to set extra precautions that day with my parental controls, whether I go through with it or not. And I plan on coming on here to journal, so that I can remind myself of the community that is keeping me away from an unhealthy lifestyle.

Alright, that was a bit longer than I anticipated, but much needed. Have a good night all.

-Daedalus

daedalus

Ugh.  I'm trying not to get mad at myself for giving in.  They're not kidding when they say there's a chaser effect.  I thought the only struggle would be the same day you do it, but no--the real struggles were the days immediately after.  I should have seen this coming though.  I thought I'd gotten rid of all my P until like a week ago, when I found a USB drive that contained both P and important documents.  Instead of going in and deleting that file entirely, I thought I'd sneak a peak, just to see if there was anything there.  Yet, deep down, I knew there would be P.  After looking at all those pics, I thought: "fuck it, I'm just gonna see if I can go on a chat cam site for a minute."  After searching across my room for my passwords to both my P-blockers/email addresses they were registered under, I finally undid it and basically had a 2.5 hour spiraling binge.

So.  Damn.  Mad.

But I won't let it happen again.  I deleted all that stuff for good, and I'm determined to make it to day 30.  This time I know not to engage in PMO, MO, M, and even sex.  I'm just not strong enough yet.

-Daedalus

A

Absalom

daedalus said:
Ugh.  I'm trying not to get mad at myself for giving in.  They're not kidding when they say there's a chaser effect.  I thought the only struggle would be the same day you do it, but no--the real struggles were the days immediately after.  I should have seen this coming though.  I thought I'd gotten rid of all my P until like a week ago, when I found a USB drive that contained both P and important documents.  Instead of going in and deleting that file entirely, I thought I'd sneak a peak, just to see if there was anything there.  Yet, deep down, I knew there would be P.  After looking at all those pics, I thought: "fuck it, I'm just gonna see if I can go on a chat cam site for a minute."  After searching across my room for my passwords to both my P-blockers/email addresses they were registered under, I finally undid it and basically had a 2.5 hour spiraling binge.

So.  Damn.  Mad.

But I won't let it happen again.  I deleted all that stuff for good, and I'm determined to make it to day 30.  This time I know not to engage in PMO, MO, M, and even sex.  I'm just not strong enough yet.

-Daedalus

Most people relapse at some point - don't feel too bad. It's a tough addiction. Making almost a month is good experience. If you think you're going to relapse again, try fasting.