How to make more friends?

Hey guys and gals, so I've become pretty lonely and isolated from my friends. A lot of them have moved away and stuff now so I need to find ways to make new friends.  I work at the moment but everyone is either a lot older than me or doesn't live close.  What can I do to increase my social circle and find friends around my own age, early twenties who also want to party etc?

daedalus

Hey makeitstop,

I've been in a similar situation, and I know from experience that it can be very depressing. Here are a couple things you can do that I've had some success lately.

1) Find a place to volunteer at regularly.  You're more likely to follow through in tough times if it relates to a hobby: eg. An animal lover walking dogs at a shelter, a yogi doing a 'work study' program at a studio, someone passionate sick people volunteering at a hospital. If you don't yet think your interests match the available opportunities, you might choose something at random. Try craigslist, volunteermatch.org, or idealist.org.

2) Get outside and exercise at least a few days a week. Generally this is solitary, but it has a few benefits. This gives your confidence, fitness, and naturally enhances your mood over time. These in turn will make you more lively and interesting to the people you do meet. You might even find a workout buddy on Craigslist.

3) meetup.com has some great opportunities to find people in your area with shared interests. It can seem really intimidating at first, but remember that all these people found each other the same way, and they were new once, too. You might try a couple groups to see which ones you have the most chemistry with. But try it at least once.

4) This helps me when I'm feeling really depressed and lonely. I make a list every morning of my accomplishments and highlights of the previous day. It can make even the worst days look better. I might wake up remembering that I was unbelievably depressed yesterday, but then I try to find something good: I applied to one job, I texted a friend, I went outside. It can be as simple as you want, as long as you write a few good things. Then post it on your bulletin board or tape it to your wall. This gives you the added bonus of having something positive to share when you meet up with friends, old or new.

These don't always help, but they have all served a useful purpose to me at one time or another, and even pulled me out of the most desperate suicidal depression.

I hope these help!

-Daedalus