Motivational Post - My insights from the movie Cast Away

These scenes from the movie Cast Away speaks volumes to me, and I think it describes addiction so well.

(Cast Away - Attempt scene)
https://youtu.be/_mBJW76riFg

Here we meet a malnourished Chuck (Tom Hanks) who has been on this lonely island for 4 years. In the first scene, after many failed attempts to escape the island, on a crappy inflatable, the breaker waves keep pushing him back, forcing him down onto the ocean floor, injuring him, and leaving him beaten & exhausted, and back where he started... on this lonely, rugged, depressing island.

One day Chuck's luck changes. A piece of sheet metal washes up on the shore, giving Chuck a potential method of escape in the form of a sail. He builds a better raft, attaches the sail, waits for the off-shore winds, and goes for it! With much tried & tested ambition, hardship, desperation, and a desire to get his life back, Chuck finally gets passed 'that wave'. That breaker that kept pushing him back, kept slamming him back onto the rocks, kept making him feel defeated. The sail helps him overcome it! And he is now in open water for the first time, with the rest of his life within grasp. That sail now providing him with shelter.

(CastAway - Sail Scene - Escaping the Island)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8y-6suAexU

At the end of this scene, when Chuck is paddling his way further into the ocean, he is starring at his island. It was 'home' for him for 4 long years. It kept him alive, just barely, but almost killed him at the same time. He is emotional leaving that place. In a twisted way, he is going to miss it. It is all he has known for all those years. This, to me, is a heartbreaking scene, and it depicts PMO addiction and recovery so well.

So where are you right now? Are you still on the shoreline? Have you found your sail and battling against the breaker waves? Have you made it to open water? Or are you lying on the rocks, weary after another defeat?

Wherever you are... Know that life presents us with options to help us along.

So... What does your 'breaker wave' look like?

And what does your 'sail' look like?