THE BEST SPIRITUAL WAY TO FIGHT TEMPTATION

Gordon 7

The Bible clearly says “We can do it.” First, we need to gain the habit of turning from lust. Step one is to tell God your plan. Consider praying:

Father, help me to turn from lust. I commit to praying this prayer _______ times per day. Praying it several times while I turn on the TV or social media, and praying it five straight times if I stumble on anything tempting.”

Use notes, alarms, and any other way you can think of to remind yourself of your goal.

Second, yesterday I did a couple of things in excess. Excess leads back to bad habits. Consider praying:

Father, help me to be moderate and content.”

Learn great new habits. Find joy.

For the full article "You can do it," click.

Gordon 7

People treasure artificial intelligence, gold, bitcoin, and many other things. These things do not lead to joy.

Proverbs 7:1 My son, keep my words, And treasure my commands within you.”

About 5% of Christians believe this verse, and about 5% of Christians are on a direct path toward fullness of joy. People think their habit is the problem. Nope. Not treasuring God's commands is the problem. It would be great if you quit your #1 problem, but most of us have a #2 problem, a #3 problem, and a #4 problem. Consider becoming obsessed with praying:

“Father, help me to treasure Your commands.”

I quit. Quitting showed me how great life is. Quitting made me aware of the spectacular value of treasuring God's commands. Many find the verses about lust difficult, but when we start to treasure God's commands, we see them in a new way. They become our great leading, glowing light. They become “The answer.”

Ways to learn the habit of treasuring God's commands. #1 Consider memorizing that verse and repeating it daily. #2 Consider printing out this article and reading it until it is “In you.” #3 Consider praying the above prayer often.

Consider working on this top ten quitting habit often.

Gordon 7

When David saw Bathsheba, he wasn't where he was supposed to be. He saw something he was not supposed to see. Then he did something he was not supposed to do. He cost so many people, so many things that they were not supposed to lose.
#1 Strive not to be where you are not supposed to be. #2 Turn instantly from something you are not supposed to see. #3 Stop, and scream no, before even thinking about doing what you are not supposed to do. #4 Reject short-term pleasure because the cost is way too great.
These 4 habits will save you from reaping the destruction David reaped. Consider working on them often.

For the full article click.

Gordon 7

This article contains Christian ideas. Please proceed if that is what you want.

We should confess every sin every time and confess every sinful thought every time. For some... that will be a constant stream of confession. Good. Work constantly on using your confession as a reminder to think new thoughts. With every bad thought consider praying:

“Father, I am sorry again. I agree with you that this thought is wrong.”

Second, take 5 minutes to truly repent (When not busy). Consider praying:

“Jesus, I do not take Your cross for granted. Please help me to turn from lust.”

Third, do not take God's grace for granted like Annanias did (Lying to Peter). That ended very poorly.

Fourth, Consider memorizing good things to “Think about.” There are several in this thread and a bunch in the article Think About.

If you think correctly, nothing can stop you.

Gordon 7

Finding our purpose is a top two quitting habit. A person who says, “I'm willing to do what God wants me to do to change the world,” is way more likely to quit. They have multiple reasons to quit, and high motivation to quit.

Second, quitting “sticks” way more often when you start your purpose. Life has never been better for me. Don't want to mess up what I now have.

Third, purpose leads to joy. The worldly things people think lead to joy never do.

Consider praying: “Father, help me to avoid lustful situations, and help me to care about souls.”

Fourth, spend a block of time daily praying about purpose.

Fifth, try new things that you think God would want you to do.

Finally, develop the positive addiction of thinking about purpose often. It is what we are here for.

Gordon 7

Abraham trusted God and was starting to offer his son as a sacrifice until God sent a lamb instead. Joseph trusted God and ran instantly from sin. Why? Because he knew exactly what God thought about the sin satan was tempting him with:

1 Corintians 3:14“ If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.”

Joseph knew verse 17, but he also knew verse 14. #1 he “knew” God had a great work for him to do. #2 He knew lust, sex, and sin would ruin him.

Second, Joseph “knew” God would reward him for doing God's will (purpose) because he had done God's will many times, and had been rewarded many times. Note: We will receive an even greater reward in heaven for what we do down here, but, God also blesses those who do His will down here.

Third, Joseph was busy preparing to do what God wanted him to do.

God has something important for every person to do. Joseph spent a block of time praying about what God wanted him to do. Then he did what God wanted him to do.

Fourth, you and I are not Joseph, but if we think and pray more about what God wants us “To do” we will start to understand the right way to live.

Fifth, your purpose is vitally important. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to run from lust, and show me how important my purpose is.”

Sixth, God does not think small things about you. We come up with small ideas ourselves.

Seventh, we do start small, Joseph continued to pray and trust God when he was thrown into a pit by his brothers. Later right before he was going to save Israel he was again thrown into jail. His small purpose was with other prisoners. Then... he got out and saved Israel (with God's help).

Finally, consider thinking and praying often about your reward for doing God's will. Consider reviewing verses 16 and 17 often to remember what happens with sin, and then spend time with God in prayer and in scripture so that he will give you a great purpose and a great life.

Gordon 7

Don't stare at some sexualized body part on TV or in person. In my opinion, if you do... You will keep the habit.

While trying to quit I would be at the park and see a girl, and stare at her ________ for as long as I could get away with it. Then I would watch TV and a female would have on short shorts, and I would stare at her legs for 10 straight minutes.

Seeing properly clothed people does not open the door for satan, staring does. Yes, when seeing is obviously sinful, the habit of turning from lust is vital. But, when you have a stronghold with lust, staring quickly becomes a problem (Even when the object person is not overly provacative).

If you break the habit of staring, one of satan's top 10 tools to sink you is gone. Consider praying:

“Father, help me not to stare.”

Have a plan for what to do when you have the opportunity to stare. I always turn away and praise the Lord.

If you pray all the time:

“Father, help me to turn from lust, and help me not to stare,”... You will have created habits that start to keep satan away.

Full the full article click.

Gordon 7

Know exactly where, when, and how temptation starts for you. With every article, it is usually a 10 (best) for your situation, a 1 (weak) for you, or average. When articles are great for you make notes, put them in a Google doc etc. It may be way wiser to read an article that addresses your root cause 12 times in 12 days, versus new fresh articles. It may be way wiser to try to learn the habits recommended in those articles versus habits recommended in articles that are not exactly for you. I will be working on my index once a month until it is done. Whether you use that system, or notes, or notebooks... The key point is, find a way to remind yourself every day, what habit you want to work on to fight temptation at the root cause for you.

Joseph ran from the root cause of his temptation. It ended well. David's root cause of his temptation was staring (Maybe he had several root causes – he was a mess that week). David did not run. It ended badly.

Finally, think about, pray about, and find articles that are about the root cause that starts your temptation. Then create habits to attack that root. Then attack.