Starting from the bottom..

PerAspera

Hey rebooters,

My goal is 120 days without any variation of PMO. This is as part of my overall mission right now, which is to pull my life out of the gutter and to become a man I can respect.

I've been trying to quit for about 2 years now. When I first discovered YBOP and other resources, I thought that abstaining from PMO would be a panacea. Not the case. PMO for me isn't the underlying issue, as much as it is a destructive symptom/ coping mechanism that reinforces the core issues. I'm not a mentally healthy individual. Have been dealing with depression, anxiety and a general predisposition to addiction for about 5 -7 years. Even on the few occasions where I hit relatively high no-pmo streaks (30+ days), I would still be miserable and my life still a mess (but to a lesser extent). I've learned that white-knuckling this addiction in isolation isn't a sustainable solution, but addressing it directly as part of a larger strategy is still a necessity.

Living the way I have been isn't worth living at all. The plan is to overhaul my lifestyle, and go from a no-friends, no-income basement troll to a mentally and physically fit guy with a healthy social life who's on track to a successful career by the end of the summer. As far as my mental health, I will focus on implementing key lifestyle daily habits proven to bolster mental health (including no pmo), and therapy to fix my destructive cognitive patterns.

Will have a link to a google spreadsheet where I track my no pmo progress in my signature (may have other habits also), and I'll try to check in here at least a few times a week to encourage others and elaborate on progress. I'd definitely appreciate any support I can get from you guys.

Cheers and good luck to all,

Newman93

Hey PerAspera,

Good to hear your story, I think you deserve a great deal of respect to share this with the community so thank you for that!

I relate a lot to your description of your issues and goals (you can see on my post "I thought I was Asexual") and I think you're making a tough but great decision to better yourself all-round.

Other than PMO, what things have you been devoting your life to that you want to change? For me it was drugs, drink and video games.

I can tell you that exercising will make you feel A LOT better, even if you do start off with depression and anxiety. Just keep it up and set yourself some realistic goals. What kind of fitness-building activities did you have in mind?

Keep posting, I'd love to hear how you progress! :)

PerAspera

Newman93 said:
Hey PerAspera,

Good to hear your story, I think you deserve a great deal of respect to share this with the community so thank you for that!

I relate a lot to your description of your issues and goals (you can see on my post "I thought I was Asexual") and I think you're making a tough but great decision to better yourself all-round.

Other than PMO, what things have you been devoting your life to that you want to change? For me it was drugs, drink and video games.

I can tell you that exercising will make you feel A LOT better, even if you do start off with depression and anxiety. Just keep it up and set yourself some realistic goals. What kind of fitness-building activities did you have in mind?

Keep posting, I'd love to hear how you progress! :)

Hey Newman, thanks for dropping by

As far as what I want to change: a ton. Shit, everything. But what I'm focussing on first is my social life (currently non-existent), cognitive restructuring (thoughts are super self-critical and self-defeating) and career direction (don't know what I want to do with my life). My biggest vices are definitely PMO, sugar and TV all of which I would binge on to a degree that is irrational to most people. I would literally spend entire days cycling between those activities as a way of avoiding my life problems and re-injecting my brain with fresh hits of dopamine.

Exercise has been one of the only things I've been doing right. Ironically I just quit my gym a few hours ago haha. I did mostly compound/barbell exercises x3-x4/week, but have decided I want to take a new direction. Gonna hit up a boxing groupon I found starting May + start doing bodyweight and HIIT-type exercises in my backyard now that it's getting warmer. Then in June, gonna join a rec beach volleyball league.