What Motivates You to Abstain?

CrowMagnum

Hey everyone,

Quick question; what motivates you to abstain?  Is it for healthy sex?  Is it to regain personhood?  For me, it is a lot of things balled together but can be summed up with healing and empowering myself.  I find it difficult to think and feel about in depth as I have significant brain fog still.  I am curious what motivates most people on here to do what we do and would like to hear it articulated in your own way.  I think discussing this would be helpful for those posting as well as those reading.  It could facilitate greater reflection of our motivations, may provide a looking glass for some people that are unclear of why they are abstaining but have a general feeling of deep dissatisfaction, and may provide motivation for some readers that are on the fence about abstaining to do so. 

So, feel free to be long or short winded and know that I am very appreciative of any response!

Best,
Crow

zacfoo

For me, I want to be able to look at myself proudly in the mirror and say that I'm not a slave to my desires and melt like a wuss whenever I get a trigger or cue. I want a healthy, honest, trusting relationship with my wife and family. I don't want to hide who I really am anymore, and want to find out who I can be when I'm not ruled by my emotions and desires.