THE BEST SPIRITUAL WAY TO FIGHT TEMPTATION

Gordon 7

CRU.org noted:

“Open Hands: The first image that you should have when attempting to walk by the Spirit is that of open hands. It is a posture of giving God whatever you are attempting to cling to for life apart from Him. It is also an image of receiving from Him whatever He has for you, including His presence, power, and purpose.

• "Yes": The second image is that of continually being ready to say “yes” to Him as he leads, directs, and redirects. Start every day with a heart that says to God, “Whatever you want, wherever you want to lead, whoever you want me to talk to, whatever you want me to give up, and whatever you want me to do, I say ‘yes.’”

• White Flag: And finally, the image of a white flag. God wants you to raise the white flag of surrender. He does not want you to give up on Him. He does not want you to give up on Christianity because you feel exhausted trying to live the Christian life on your own. But He wants you to give up control. He wants you to give up the pursuit of your sin. He wants you to give up trying to live the Christian life on your own.

Wave the white flag today and tomorrow and every day thereafter. Ask God to fill you with His Spirit anew today and tomorrow and every day thereafter. As you walk and stumble and get back up, confess, repent and raise the white flag on your sin and on your attempts to live the Christian life on your own. Surrender to His Spirit so you can experience more of His presence, more of His power, and more of His purposes in your life.”

Second, we should desire to be filled with the Holy Spirit because He insists that we do good works, and we can't do much without Him. Revelation 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.”

The church John was writing to was going through the motions regarding good works. In this passage John is warning them to get busy and help someone. Getting busy and helping someone (doing God's will) is part of quitting. We make a point of being filled with the Holy Spirit so that we can help others and do God's will. We go to war with sin so that we can do God's will.

Third, consider setting a daily time to pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit. To be filled so that we can do God's will and help others.

Finally, people who insist on being filled with the Spirit quit 10 times as often as others. Why? #1 because the Holy Spirit helps us to be in God's will. #2 Because now they have something great “to do.” #3 Because now the Holy Spirit is becoming a constant help in the war against sin. #4 Because now they again experience their “First love,” and start to increase in joy. And it is great.
For the full article click.

Gordon 7

Yesterday, I had a really rotten day. Today started out just as poorly. As an emergency measure, I made scripture a huge priority. I had 6 printouts of Bible verses on my bed and I read every one of them. Then I put on the audio Bible of the Psalms and listened to 7 of them.

One of the verses was 2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Today I was strongly insulted. Paul said to delight in insults so that Christ's power may rest on me. Today I delighted in the insults. Today I had hardships, I rejoiced so that I would not deny Christ's power. Today I had persecutions, and difficulties. I tried to use a completely Biblical route to solve them.

The results were not what I expected. I thought this solution would help me survive the hurricane. Instead, some of the verses came to life for me and my day started to turn around (which was completely impossible). Quickly, solutions came to me about very complex problems. Just as importantly, I realized that I was not fighting the person who it appeared that I was fighting with. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [a]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.”

Second, even if the other person is 90% wrong, we are usually not perfect either. When we dig into scripture we start to realize our lack of perfection, and the scripture prompts us to change. And when we humbly are willing to do things God's way, we make a vital connection to God. Reading His Word is a vital connection. Straining to do what it says causes a vital connection. Praying about doing what It says causes a vital connection.

Finally, all of that scripture caused me to focus on this verse:

“2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”

God has important things for us to do today. But if satan can knock us down anytime he wants, that is what he will continue to do. Instead, attack him back with scripture. He would rather leave you alone instead of hearing scripture.

For the whole article click.

Gordon 7

In the story of David, Uriah the Hittite is a forgotten person. But if we live like he lived we will gain a lot.

David got Bathsheeba, Uriah's wife pregnent. At the time David did this, he was supposed to be doing God's will. He was relaxing at home... looking around, trying to amuse himself. Uriah was fighting the battle, and doing God's will. After David got her pregnant, he sent for Uriah and told him to go home to his wife. He was hoping for a cover-up. But, Uriah refused to go home and he slept on the palace steps. Uriah said, How can I go home when my comrades are living in tents away from their families? Then David had him killed.

Uriah insisted on living God's way. He died a forgotten hero, a man who insisted on doing God's will.

If we insist on doing things God's way we will avoid the massive destruction David got. If we insist on focusing on God's will, we will have a huge reason to not go back to lust... because we have something important to do. Consider spending a daily block of time in prayer to seek what God's will is for you. It is a huge step toward quitting and a step in the direction of joy.

For the complete article click.

Last edited:

Gordon 7

The last week was hard for me. Today, I will print out verses on forgiveness, because I need to forgive so I will have Godly thoughts instead of wrong thoughts. Is there anything you need to print out? Or look up ie “verses anger,” or “verses ______?”

We learned from David's life that when he was thinking right (through digging into scripture, prayer, and praise) he was always a hero. When he was thinking wrong, and looking in the wrong way... he got in trouble and suffered to an unbelievable degree. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to turn from lust, and fill me with Your love.”

Consider spending 30 minutes per day on YouTube consuming Christian content. Put in their search a Christian trait you want to improve in. That kind of content helps your thoughts rise and increase in purity.

Second, conquer thoughts by fighting back with a prayer every time you have a lustful thought. Doing that is a key way to obey the Biblical command to take every thought captive.

Third, when does a lust thought become a sin? The Bible implies that satan planted and presented Jesus with sinful thoughts and suggestions. But we know that Jesus did not sin. Jesus immediately rejected those sinful thoughts that satan presented Him with. Then He knew a scripture verse to quote that would immediately reject that thought.

But we are not Jesus... What if we only know a few of the verses about lust, and what if we can't even remember more than one? In that case, quote that one. If you can only remember one prayer, pray that one.

The point is to fight back with prayer, and, or scripture every time a lustful thought is presented to us. If you make that your goal (I did) you will have started a technique that is huge in the battle against lust.

Gordon 7

God told Adam and Eve: “If you eat from the fruit of “that” tree, you will certainly die. The question is... What did God mean by that? They kept breathing.

What died when they ate the fruit? Their being allowed to live in paradise died. Their being allowed to live in a full blessing died (There were curses as a result of eating the fruit). But I think that the biggest thing that died (or partially died) was their closeness to God. Before the fall They walked in the garden with God. They talked all the time. They had this great perfect relationship.

When I first got saved I had this great, perfect relationship with God. Then I made a big mess of it. Now I am always trying to get back to that great perfect relationship.

When we go to war with lust and sin, we start to make progress toward that. In my experience, we can make a ton of progress, and when we do, joy starts to increase.

Gordon 7

People try the drug Oxy and think, “That felt good, I want to do that as often as possible.” Instead, if they were thinking “Long-term” they would think: I don't want to be homeless, broke, and broken.

Consider writing Long term at the top of a piece of paper. Then as you read a bunch of articles, write down the dates and titles of articles that push long-term thinking. We work because, in the long term, it is good for us. We eat fruits and vegetables because, in the long term, it is good for us. We read the Bible, pray, forgive, and love because, in the long term, it is good for us.

Second, addiction is thinking... “Nothing in the universe can help me right now except _______.” Never say that. Instead say: “Other things can help me and I am going to “Try” them.” Consider memorizing that quote. If your world is falling apart, a bike ride with your buddy, followed by digging into scripture will be a bit slower at first, but it will help you.

Third, consider memorizing this question for use when tempted: “Why do I have to fall.” There are 12-20 common reasons for falling. Most of the solutions to fight back against these reasons are covered on this site. Consider noting the articles and dates written for your top reasons.

Finally, consider saying 5 times per day: “I will keep fighting for a solution.” When we put in the work, life gets good again faster.

Gordon 7

Do I believe that my long-term life will be better doing things God's way? I guarantee that it will. What is the long term? Over 1 month for sure. Better over 1 week 99% of the time. Better over 5 days 97% of the time. Better over 3 days 94% of the time. Better over 2 days 90% of the time.

When I say better, firstly I am talking about joy, but I am also talking about fun. When we live right the simple things in life are fun. If you are on a 5-day streak and are doing things God's way, a walk is fun, sitting around doing nothing with a friend is fun, reading is fun, sports are fun, and clean TV is fun.

When we live the Bible way we live in the great love and shining light of God. Slipping up hurts our joy for the week. It usually hurts our month, if we keep doing it, it hurts our year. Regular slip-ups take the fun out of just about everything else. Consider praying:

“Father, help me develop the habit of rejecting short-term sinful, destructive fun. Help me to think long term. Teach me how to start finding joy Your way.”

Gordon 7

Forgiveness

Ephesians 3:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [a]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

When someone has ripped us to shreds, we should consider quoting this verse twice a day until we can forgive them. We all believe satan uses people in the movies... but we forget that he uses people who are right in front of us as well.

I also forget that when addiction was “driving” me, I was dark and abusive.

Second, God knows “how much” we can forgive someone right now. If you have someone who hurt you for years, one quick phone call to just touch base is a start. It is obeying the command to forgive. Consider praying:

“Father, take away my spirit of lust and help me to forgive others that way You forgave me.”

Third, when we forgive, we increase the power of the Holy Spirit in us. We need the Holy Spirit's power in us to help us quit. We need His power to help us help others.

Forgiving others may be a top 3 way to increase in the Spirit. The #1 way is getting scripture “in us.” #2 Spending time in prayer. #3 A tie between forgiving, and loving others.

Finally, insist on trying to be happy? Three of the best ways to increase happiness are to learn (and pray) about rapid forgiveness. #2 Learn (and pray) about running from and turning from lust. #3 Every day, consider praying, “Father, what do You want me to work on today.” Granted He is not going to talk to you any more than He talks to me. But... if we have repented of our sins, it is amazing how often a thought pops into our head when we give God a chance to be involved in our lives.

Gordon 7

Today my devotions were Matthew 4 where Jesus was tempted by satan. In this chapter, we see that Jesus needed to (For our example) fight back against satan with scripture 3 times. This tells us that when we fight back one time, that is just a start. Two times get us in the thick of the battle. With our third scripture verse, we should be starting to get somewhere.
Obviously, when we are at home we can click on the verses for quitting (contact me for this link), and recite 3 verses to fight back. But we also need a plan for when we are out and about. Consider writing down 3 verses about lust on a 3 by 5 card and carry it with you. Refer to it often until you have at least 3 verses memorized.
These verses make it a fair fight, and if you keep adding even more verses to the battle, it becomes a full victory because your team is stronger than he is.
Finally, prayer helps with temptation, 1 verse about lust puts us in the battle, 2 verses start us forward, and 3 verses are often enough to be winning the battle, but digging into multiple verses until temptation stops is a complete victory every time.

Gordon 7

We love Joseph because he was our great example of running from lust. But often we forget to ask “why” he did that. When we look at Joseph and start at the beginning, we see that he was a great dreamer. He wanted to do great things, and he wanted to do great things for God.

In every situation, Joseph knew that God had a plan for his life, just like he has a plan for our lives. When Joseph was thrown into a pit, he still believed that God had a plan for him. When we get wrecked in life, we need to gain the habit of turning from lust and continuing to believe that God has a plan for our lives. When Joseph was thrown into prison he still believed that God had a plan, and he still continued in constant prayer so that he could fulfill that plan. At every bad turn in life, Joseph believed that God's way was best and that God had something for him to do.

When Joseph's great temptation came, he ran from it. He was able to run from it because before the temptation happened, he had practiced turning from lust and sin because he knew they would interfere with his purpose. He believed that God had something for him to do despite every signal around him flashing, no, stop, it's too hard. In the pit, he believed, when sold into slavery, when in prison, when in a hostile foreign country, in every impossible situation, he believed that God had something for him to do.

He was right, God had something for him to do. If we also believe that with all our heart, and if we prepare to turn from lust, we will be able to run from it, just like Joseph did. Consider praying:

"Father, help me to run from lust, show me how to find joy."

Gordon 7

Consider starting every day with a determination to react to temptation like Joseph did instead of how David did. Consider praying:

"Father, teach me Your Word so that I can start to run from lust like Joseph."

Lifeway.com noted:

1. God calls us to radical purity.
Regardless of your circumstances, your needs, your disposition, this is God’s will for your life: For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God (I Thess. 4:3-5).

“What do you mean by radical purity?” Listen to the standard of moral purity God expects of us in Eph. 5:3-5: "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

2. Guard your heart and mind.
What is implicitly clear about Joseph is that he had made up his mind about lines he would not cross before the temptation came. Like Job, who said, “I have made a covenant with my eyes not to gaze upon a young maiden,” Joseph had established specific standards which governed his responses (Job 31:1).

Not only that, but Joseph was careful about what he exposed himself to. He didn’t try to be polite about the issue. Verse 10 tells us that he refused to even listen to her or linger in her presence. As much as he was able, he kept his distance from temptation. And when things started closing in, v. 12 says he literally ran from the tempting moment

Let’s shoot straight here. We all know how we justify tuning in on tempting stuff. We toy with sin, thinking we are the master. We linger when we should be running. Joseph didn’t play games with something so lethal. He guarded his mind." Consider praying 5 times every day:
"Father, help me to run instantly from lust."

Finally, David's life ended up as a mess. Joseph's life ended great. Learn the habit of running from lust like he did.

Gordon 7

Randy Alcorn published his list of the consequences of lust:
  • "Grieving my Lord; displeasing the One whose opinion most matters.
  • Dragging into the mud Christ's sacred reputation.
  • Having to one day look Jesus in the face at the judgment seat and account for why I did it.
  • Forcing God to discipline me in various ways.
  • Suffering of innocent people around me who would get hit by the shrapnel of my sin.
  • Hurt to and loss of credibility with my children, _____________and _____________
  • If my blindness should continue or my family be unable to forgive, I could lose my wife and my children forever.
  • Shame to my church family.
  • Shame and hurt to my friends, and especially those I've led to Christ and discipled.
  • Guilt that would be awfully hard to shake.
  • Loss of self-respect, discrediting my own name, and invoking shame and lifelong embarrassment upon myself.
  • Plaguing memories and flashbacks that could taint future intimacy with my wife.
  • Disqualifying myself after having preached to others.
  • Forfeiting forever certain opportunities to serve God."
For me, lust kept me empty, dark, and depressed. It also held me back from fulfilling my purpose. Today, consider writing out a list of your consequences of lust.

Gordon 7

We can learn a lot about fighting lust by looking at how we fight the habit of lying. The Bible says "Thou shalt not lie.”

In China where they may be killed for being a Christian, they would read this verse and just declare outright war against lying. In America, if you can't find a church that says that you can do any sin as often as you want, and everything will be just fine and dandy, you just aren't trying hard enough.

Second, who is this verse talking about? For sure it is about future habitual liars. People who practice lawlessness in this area. But, quite a few Christians have dedicated themselves to not lying, but they slip up every 2-4 months in a moment of weakness. Then they instantly repent. Now they are not likely “liars.” No one calls a person who lies once in 6 months a liar.

Despite the Bible telling us, “Be ye perfect,” and despite my dedication to trying to do that... a lie slips out. My reaction to that is to quote the above verse which I have memorized. For me, I get straightened up really fast when I think about that verse.

Third, the Bible tells us to “Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” I fear telling a lie. Everyone should fear telling a lie. Consider praying:

“Father, teach me to fear lying.”

Fourth, everyone should fear falling into lust. It brings darkness and destruction into our lives. Consider praying:

“Father, show me why I should fear lust. Show me exactly what destruction it brings into my life.”

We should fear getting caught in a fire, fear serious car accidents, and fear activities that the Bible says bad things about.

Fifth, study Bible verses that will help you stop until they are firmly in your head. Then study them some more until they are solidly in “your heart.”

Finally, when we fear the things God says to avoid, our other fears start to go away. When we dig into the Bible we learn to fear what God wants us to fear, and then we start to overcome a whole bunch of fears that we have that God wants to remove when we do things His way. Then life gets really good.

Gordon 7

Matthew 5 tells us how to think to increase happiness. It begins: “Blessed are the poor in Spirit.” Am I just a tiny man, fully dependent on a huge powerful God? Yes. I can't even breathe without Him. Life is not great unless I focus on humility, and on caring about other people. When we start to realize how great God is, and how small we are, then we start to increase in caring about people and caring about their souls. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to decrease, and help me to go to war with lust so I can do Your will.”

The passage ends with, “For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Focusing often on this passage is not taking a break from the war on lust. Helping and caring about others is a key to quitting.

Today consider starting to acquire the habit of denying yourself so that others may be lifted up and helped.

The second blessing is: Blessed are they that mourn. Mathew Henry noted: A penitential mourning for our own sins; this is godly sorrow, a sorrow according to God; sorrow for sin, with an eye to Christ, Zec. 12:10. Those are God's mourners, who live a life of repentance, who lament the corruption of their nature, and their many actual transgressions, and God's withdrawings from them;”

When we sin, part of mourning might be to study a dozen articles to try to better understand “why” a fall happened. Part of mourning might be to spend a block of time in prayer lamenting what has happened. Part of mourning might be to ask God for wisdom regarding “why” lust is such a problem. Asking Him “How” to fight it better. Mourning certainly involves committing more “time” to learn habits of how to fight the problem more effectively.

Finally, studying verses on how to live is a vital part of quitting. We need to pound “How to live” into us at the same time as we pound “How not to live” out of us. Once we are completely dedicated to doing that, the Spirit will keep us from evil.

Gordon 7

We use scripture to pound lust out. Then we replace it with something great. The Bible says: “Blessed are they which hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.” I highly recommend memorizing the above verse. If you “have” to have P... you are not filled. You still need something.

After David fell he recommitted his life to hungering and thirsting after righteousness. It was not a one-minute commitment, more like a one-year commitment until he started to make it a habit. Now you may say: That is way too hard. But, the more we do it the more we are filled. Filled means filled with the Spirit, and filled with joy.

Today, go to war with sinful short-term pleasure and make a commitment to this verse to start on a path to long-term joy, and purpose.

“Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.”
Henri J.M. Nouwen

Gordon 7

Psalm 34 1 I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.”
Consider focusing daily on always giving the Lord praise. Praise was one reason why God favored David, and praise increases God's love in us.
5 “Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.”
Wrongful pleasure = darkness and depression. Being radiant is better.

7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
9 Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing."
Lustful pleasure starts to and eventually drains everything from us. Lacking nothing is better.

14 Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

Finally, we end with what to do. We should make it a habit to turn from lust. But if we skip the next command: “To do good,” it will be twice as hard to turn from evil. Consider praying:

“Father, show me how to “do good.” Teach me Your ways.”

To do good: #1 Be willing to do good. #2 Be prepared through Bible study and prayer to do good. #3 Make it a habit to be available today (and every day) to do good. #4 Pray to be filled with love so that you can do good effectively. #5 Study these 5 traits that Psalm 34 says to have. They will prepare you to do good and to have a great life.

Gordon 7

David Hernandez noted: Repentance is mourning over sin, but it is also a conviction, a deeply held belief. To be convicted about something means I believe it with all my heart.

It is vital to come to the place where you believe, you know, you recognize, that the thing you are allowing in your life is destroying you. It is important to come to the place where you say to God: God...I agree, this thing needs to go. This constant lust is wrong. The Bible says that Godly sorrow worketh repentance.”

Take time in mourning over sin until you say, “I want to get rid of this habit completely. I want to get rid of every bit of it.” Great tips by David.

Second, we are not the same person after the cross as we were before the cross. Will we sin after the cross? It will happen, but why would I live the life that crucified my Lord?

Third, can we keep sinning (The same sins over and over again) forever? Until you read Hebrews 10:26 five times a day for a month, you may believe what people say rather than to agree with the Bible.

Fourth, to form a conviction, a strong powerful belief... Read 3 verses about lust daily. After you read the first one ask yourself. Do I agree with God about what the Bible says in this verse? Is this verse true? Is this what really will happen?

Fifth, if you struggle to believe the verse, pray over it for 5 minutes. Consider praying:

“Father, help me to believe your Word.”

Then move on to the next verse.

Sixth, believe like Joseph did, that God has something great for you “to do.” He will likely have tiny things for you to do first, but eventually, He has great things for you to do. But we will never graduate to doing great things until we quit the habitual sin. That is one of the reasons we quit.

Gordon 7

Many people's emotions go up and down, because of negative thoughts.

John H Prin in his book Secret Keeping notes:

“Millions of people with habits, who have negative self-definitions (which are reinforced by negative self-talk) have learned how to live cleaner saner lives using positive self-definitions... They've revised the words they tell themselves.”

Consider writing down negative comments that you often say to yourself. Then write out what positive comments you could replace them with. For example, John Prin writes:

“Change, I'm a loser, to, I'm a winner.

Change, I'll never be somebody, to, I will be somebody.

Change, I'm incapable and undeserving, to, I am able and deserving.

Change, I don't matter much, to, I matter a lot.

Change, life is out to get me, to, life has blessings for me.

He recommends that you repeat the new phrases, or ones you make up on your own aloud for thirty days, once in the morning and once at bedtime. If you listed, my opinions don't matter, then say aloud, my opinions do matter, and so on. Remember, keep your thoughts positive because they become your words. Keep your words positive because they become your actions. Keep your actions positive because they become your values. Keep your values positive because they become your destiny.”

I got four: Change:

My life stinks, to, the more I do things God's way, the more I will be blessed.

Change, I can't handle this, to, If I allow God to start to help me, He will start to help me.

Change, I need a miracle, to, when I go through this, with God's help, then I will learn how to help others.

Change, I can't resist this short-term lustful fun with added destruction, to, I will think long term and my joy will start to grow.

Gordon 7

To quit, every day we need “Foundations” that we can depend on. #1 Daily Bible-study. #2 Preparation with prayers. #3 A time and a place to study at this site for 20 minutes or longer.

Second, Geno Smith is an NFL player who was drafted by the New York Jets. In game after game, for season after season, he was told: “You can't do it.” When the Jets dumped him, that was a loud, “You can't do it.”

In year 7 of his career (After being dumped by 3 teams), Geno was signed by the Seattle Seahawks. Now he was being trained by the great head coach Pete Carroll. Day after day, week after week, Pete showed Geno what to do. But the bigger point is... Geno never gave up. Geno kept working, he kept believing. Day after day he worked on the foundational, fundamentals of being a winning quarterback.

Then in 2022, Geno became Seattle's starting quarterback. He won his first game and he kept on winning. Pete and Geno had turned Seattle's fortunes from bad to good. Now they were winning and they are still winning.

Third, I gave 3 foundational ideas. We need a bunch of these foundational habits to quit for good. Today, consider making these 3 ideas into habits, plus think about two other foundational habits that you vitally need.

Geno figured out what foundational habits he needed. He fully believed he could do it, and he put in the work. Today Geno is a star playing for the Seattle Seahawks.

Gordon 7

Romans 8:26 ESV “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”
Who will be heard? One who prays a good prayer five times a day with no emotion, or someone who is so distraught about their sin, that they can't say anything for ten minutes while praying?

Second, if you pray, “Father, help me to turn from lust,” five times per day, you can be sincere with a complete desire to change every time. With both methods, an attitude of repentance is needed.

Matthew 26:41 ESV “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
Pray before you turn on the TV. Pray before you go out where temptation may be. Watch, pray, have a plan to fight back, and be prepared.

Romans 12:12 ESV Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Consider praying:

“You are a great and mighty God, help me to fight this lust.”

“Father, help me to turn from sin, Your kingdom is coming soon.”

“Father, keep me from evil. Help me to run from evil.”

“Father, keep me from temptation. Help me to avoid temptation.”

I love prayers where we ask for God's help, plus, we commit to going to war against lust as well. Each prayer includes an action phrase for us: “Fight this lust, turn from sin, run from evil, and avoid temptation. If we include our specific desire to change in our prayer, then, are we praying in truth?

Psalm 145:18 ESV The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

The nearer the Lord is to us... the faster we will make progress.