John007 Journal

John007

Deuce, Vetrn - Thanks for dropping me a line.  Appreciate the support.

Yes, I think what we're all facing here takes a lot of courage.  At least we're aware of our problem and believe we need to change.  That's a good thing. 

Deuce, the shame thing is one of the worst side effects of PMO.  I don't have any freedom when I'm actively doing the PMO thing.    As if that isn't enough, there's all these other bad side effects like desensitization, hypofrontality, etc.  Shame, that right there ought to be enough for me to rid myself of it.  When I'm thinking clearly and centered, this makes sense.  But when 3-4 days have gone by and I haven't had any activity and start getting urge, I take the easy way out instead of remaining disciplined and steadfast.  I think only time away from behavior and adding days together free of PMO is the only way out.  As hard as it is, I've noticed when I string some days together, I feel better about myself and relate better with others.

Vetrn, glad you're here.  And glad you can relate with post here. 

You guys are doing better than I am.  And I commend you for it. 

I got into an argument this weekend with my wife over finances and she said she wanted out of the marriage.  She says this all the time, even though we've been married for 12 years.  Still, when she threatens me with this, I've noticed my stress level goes through the roof.  Maybe I have abandonment issues from my childhood.  Who knows.  All I know is when I'm stressed and angry, especially when it pertains to issues with her, I use this as an excuse to act on PMO.  I rationalize to myself, "Well, she's not active with me sexually so to hell with it...might as well get it from somewhere."  Take easy way out by not being aware, taking the path of least resistance, and doing what comes naturally to me without having to think about it.  This is so selfish.  I should take responsibility for my sex life with my wife.  I'm the man.  It's my responsibility to lead in this area (it goes without saying, I don't mean dominate!!  I value an equal relationship and have a lot of respect for my wife and women in general).  Instead, I take the immature way out by blaming it on her...she's not giving me any, so it's her fault.  Go to the office and look at P and M.  What a stupid way to live.  It really is.  It's encouraging to me to see here all of you who've been free of this for so long.  You must be getting healthier every day.  I want what you have.

I keep thinking my marriage would improve if I were able to give up this destructive behavior.  She probably has good reason not to sleep with me right now.  So what.  It's not the end of the world.  But if I'm patient and start working on myself, maybe the bedroom activity with wife would come almost as an after thought.  It has in the past.  I guess it's an indirect way of solving my problem.  It's counter intuitive.  I mentioned in an earlier post I had 17 days free of PMO and felt my confidence go way up.  Well, hell, there's my answer.  Women love confident men.  And when I'm messing around like an adolescent on the internet, my confidence plummets.  Depression sets in...and all those other unpleasant feelings...shame, remorse, guilt, irritability, impatience.  Do I need to go on?  I need some discipline here to look at the long-term consequences of my behavior.  I'm here for a finite time.  But my desires are endless.  They're insatiable, especially when it comes to P.  Like they say, I'm trying to fill a void with the wrong thing. 

Haven't been thinking clearly, because I've been actively acting out the last 3 days on a binge of PMO.  I handle anger and stress in destructive ways sometimes.  I know I'm capable of doing better. 

Thanks again for the encouragement.  I'm glad I found this site!

vetrn

John007,

I know the frustrations that comes from not being active with your spouse and how it seems easier to say that 'I have to get it from somewhere.'  I also know that this is a 2 way street.  For me, when my wife was wanting to do the nasty, I wasn't in the mood due to too much PMO; as a result it made her feel that she was undesirable to me, despite my insistence that it was me not her.  She fell into a depressive slump and started consuming alcohol at alarming rates.... until it all came to a head an she ended up having to go to AA against her will.  Now, I can't take responsibilities for her part in the situation, and cannot justify them.  She is an adult and knew the consequences of heavy alcohol consumption.  I can and do take responsibility for my part in the situation - my PMOing triggered a chain of events that very nearly cost me my marriage.  We were separated for 8 months with me assuming the role of single parent while she started to work on getting herself back together.  She has been back home now a little over a year and still has bouts of depression and I still was PMOing until recently....

I starting thinking about the causes that I may have incited for my wife's current situation and it dawned on me, kinda like a piano falling on me head, that maybe I had a part of destroying here self esteem as much as my own with PMOing.  So, this week my wife is off on a retreat for her to start learning to cope with her depressive natures without medications - I saw this as a good opportunity to start on mine as well.  I am hoping that she will see some positive changes in me when she comes back home on Friday.  Despite everything we have been through in the past 24 months, she is still the most beautiful woman in the world to me, and I love her with all my heart.  They say that actions speak louder than words.  I believe this.  I now look at PMOing as a violation of the love I have for my wife of 10 years, and I think on that every time the urge to PMO starts to hit me; then I naturally get up and find something else to do,, like lift cars or something of that nature...

I haven't had any arguments with my wife at this point since I have quit PMOing, but my plan will be to go to my punching bag and use that as my outlet rather than PMOing.

Keep the faith John007, and make the conscious choice to "Charlie Mike" (Continue the Mission) as we say in the military. 

V

Deuce26

Hi John,
Shame is feeling like we are unworthy of being loved and feeling like we belong. Actions that support that notion only make it worse. Feeling ashamed of your problem means you won't share it with anyone because you may get rejected. You possibly might, but the fear of being rejected will only submerse you deeper into your addiction.
Shame also prevents you from being your true self. It also lets you know that it's a trigger against your own personal value systems, like feeling guilty for something you did wrong. It's important to recognize these triggers and what they mean to you.
I am going to post this link for you to watch. I am a huge fan of Brene Brown and what she talks about on this video clip is very enlightening. This beating the PMO thing is a personal growth opportunity for all of us, no matter whether your counter is at 8 hours or 635 days and there is something to learn about ourselves and why we turn to PMO when things get tough.

http://www.oprah.com/own-super-soul-sunday/Dr-Brene-Brown-Shame-Is-Lethal-Video

D

John007

Hey, Vetrn, Deauce!  Good to hear from both of you.  Thanks!

Vetrn, thanks for telling me situation about your wife.  I've been in AA for almost 10 years, so I know a little about that subject.  What you said made me realize how things we do in secret like PMO...we think it's no big deal, but the consequences can be really bad, e.g., your wife not feeling wanted, depression, etc.  These are all major issues.  And the current situation with my wife and her not  sleeping with me I know is a result of my acting on PMO all the time.  The reason I know this is, when I quit PMO, my life in the bedroom with my wife seems to improve.  It just shows you what an insidious, bad habit this is.  And it gets worse as time goes by.  In AA they say alcohol addiction is cunning, baffling, powerful.  The same is true with this PMO stuff, but it's worse, because you don't have to go to the store and buy it.  It's right there in front of you.  I've tried internet filters.  I've even turned my password over to my counselor, but then he switched jobs so I have password now.  Think key is to head this off inside your mind by doing things talked about here in forum and on YBOP.  Thanks again for telling me more about your situation. 

Hey, Deuce.  Thanks for posting the Brene Brown video!  I watched it and liked what she said about how shame survives and gets worse with secrecy, judgement, etc.  Wow.  So true!  I've noticed some relief on the shame front since I've started talking with you guys on this forum.  Regardless that this is all anonymous, we're being truthful with one another regarding issues, problems, solutions, etc.  That's what's important.  Also liked what you said about it doesn't matter if you have a lot of days or several  hours, this is a personal growth opportunity!!  And, your right, it is!

Haven't acted out today to PMO.  I've been inspired here due to your support so I'm going to the gym to work out.  Thanks again, guys!

vetrn

I am glad that you are still with us John... remember, you are an inspiration to me as well... I first thought this would be a path I would have to take on my own, like so many I have had in my life.  But I realize, I am not alone with this,,, and as corny as it may sound, I am starting to consider you guys my personal 'Band of Brothers.'  And with brothers, and sisters, we can overcome any obstacle laid before us.  This will not control our lives and I will not go quietly into that dark night of shame and ignorance any longer,,,,

V

John007

Had 14 days clean of PMO and went on a binge.  Last streak was 15 days.  Can't seem to get over the hump.

Starting over.  1 day clean of PMO today.