Momentum Is A Cruel Mistress

dennis

Day 1: Introduction

Hello everyone, my name is Dennis. I'm a 25 yr old suffering from PIED. Like many others, I grew up with P just a finger click away at any given time. It wasn't until I was 23, did I realize how devastating the effects of P were. I've regularly watched P since I was 15 or 16, making it about a full decade of P for me now. In college, I was very social and somewhat of a ladies man I guess you could say. I had no problems having sex, both as hook ups and in serious relationships. It wasn't until I graduated college and started working a full time job, did the ugly side of P begin to rear its head. The demon was awakened and demanded to be fed.

I was in a new city, working a 9-5 job, living alone in my own studio apartment. It was difficult for me to meet new people and I found myself alone often. I was very focused on my career, so I decided I wasn't going to bother dating, and instead just use P as my outlet. "It's cheaper, easier, and more satisfying" I told myself. Before long, the P wasn't enough, and I had to smoke weed in conjunction to PMO. I started realizing that it was a problem when a few times, I brought girls home and realized I couldn't perform. It was incredibly embarrassing. Instead of figuring out the real issue, I just dived deeper into P, my fantasy world. With a handful of botched sexual experiences due to PIED, I found comfort in my fantasy world. My self worth depreciated greatly.

Then I met a wonderfully caring, beautiful, intelligent woman. We dated for about a year, and throughout the whole relationship, she was always supportive. (Our sexual experiences were never good due to my PIED, so I admitted my suspicion of the problem to her). I started going to church with her and told her I was quitting. But I found myself relapsing over and over again, and hiding it from her because I knew it was hurting her. I found myself lying a lot, and feeling worse about myself. I felt like I was doing her wrong and felt I did not deserve her. So I made the mistake of breaking up with her. In retrospect, I lost a really good woman due to my own self doubt and addiction.

Fast forward two years. I am now a graduate student studying creative advertising (writing and graphic design), which means I am on my laptop for almost every waking moment. My PIED is real bad now. I find myself avoiding opportunities to sleep with women, choosing to come home and PMO every single time.  This is embarrassing, but just opening Chrome Incognito gives me a rush. That's how I know it's bad. I've installed parental blocks on my laptop, but just find myself getting off to other stimulus like social media or youtube. I've been trying to quit P for the past 6 months, but the longest I've lasted was 13 days. I'm tired of hating myself for this. I consider myself an ambitious person and am relatively happy with every other aspect of my life. P addiction is the weak place in my armor, my achilles heel. But I've found it incredibly difficult to overcome. It's the opponent I can't see, but can feel breathing down my neck. It's the voice in my head that whispers to me every time I am alone. I can feel his presence with me.

I recently started seeing a new girl. She's wonderful, and I really don't want to mess this up again. We've already tried to have sex once, and of course my PIED got in the way. I told her about my problem and said that I'm working on it. She is fully supportive and I don't want to let her down. Or myself down. I don't want to repeat my own mistakes from the past. I'm 25 yrs old now and this is the part of my life when concrete habits start to take hold. I don't want this side of me ruining my chances at love or starting a family. I need to stomp it out now before it becomes a permanent fixture in my life.

I finally decided I needed help and found this forum. I'm admitting that I cannot do this alone. It's time to set pride aside. I want to be a part of this community. I wish to find help and support among brothers, and hopefully be able to return the favor as I recover.

It's time to burn away my self doubt. Remember what I'm fighting for. I want my life back.
Momentum is a cruel mistress. She is always searching for my weak spot.
I need to transform her from my enemy to my greatest ally.

Accepting the fate we are given is for people who believe in luck.
Having the courage to do this is for people who know this is a choice.
Like anything else worth accomplishing, it's going to require sweat and tears.
And sacrifice.

Today is Day 1.
The Grind.

UselessMeat

Hey brother just read your story, it moved me as it reminded me a lot of my own.

http://legacy.rebootnation.org/index.php?topic=9028.0

Send me a PM if you need anyone to talk to.

Hablablos

Hello dennis and welcome to RebootNation,

I'd like to ask you:

Why do want to recover from addiction? I know it may be a silly question, but reason for that is simple. Becuase your mind will play many tricks on you, you need to know exactly why are you doing this. And the best thing you can do is to write these reasons somewhere to have them as a reminder.

Who do you want to become as a person?

Do you have any hobies or activities?

I also see you quoted Rise and Shine a few times. It's my alarm clock since the January and I haven't been tired of it so far.  :)

Good luck on your journey!

Hey Dennis,

Welcome you the rest of your life! God that really did sound as cliche as I thought it would. HAHAHA.

Remember that you've been PMOing for the last 10 years of your life. This shit doesn't go away overnight. Keep plugging away at it and really dive into this website. Check out my journal. Check out everyone else's. You're not unique and you're definitely not alone.

As far as your girl goes, focus on her pleasure. Never leave her unfulfilled. This will help reinforce her commitment to you and will take the pressure off of you to perform giving you some breathing room.

Grab a cup of coffee and hang out. There's alot of great people going through the same thing you are. Also, keep an eye on just how many people are viewing your journal, even if not posting :)

Cheers,

-The Faptain

dennis

Hablablos said:
Hello dennis and welcome to RebootNation,

I'd like to ask you:

Why do want to recover from addiction? I know it may be a silly question, but reason for that is simple. Becuase your mind will play many tricks on you, you need to know exactly why are you doing this. And the best thing you can do is to write these reasons somewhere to have them as a reminder.

Who do you want to become as a person?

Do you have any hobies or activities?

I also see you quoted Rise and Shine a few times. It's my alarm clock since the January and I haven't been tired of it so far.  :)

Good luck on your journey!

Hi Hablablos!

Thanks for asking me these questions, you're absolutely right. Writing these out will prove to be helpful, I believe.

My desire to recover from this addiction stems from the desire to be in control of my own life. I don't like anything having power over me. I don't want to be a slave to anything. I used to be somewhat addicted to weed a few years back, and kicking that habit was probably one of the best choices I ever made. It felt great to be in control again. For some reason, I always put P in a different category, I guess maybe because society doesn't really view it as a traditional addiction. But besides the principle of being "free," I also can see the negative consequences spelled out right before my eyes. It is ruining my self esteem, my social life, and has hurt people that I care deeply about.

When I was at my lowest points of P addiction, I kept searching for more and more "unique" or hardcore types of P to satisfy me. My mind went to sick places that I am ashamed of and disgusted with. All for what? The second I reach O, I am filled with hatred and disgust with myself. This is not the man I want to be. I want to rid myself of these twisted thoughts and lusts. I want to become the kind of man that I would want marrying my daughter or sister. A confident, humble, righteous man with character. I want to live an authentic life with no hidden, dark secrets.

As far as hobbies and activities go, I have many! I enjoy photography, creative writing, hip hop dance, videography, and sketching. I am blessed to be in a career where I can utilize all of those hobbies. Being paid to be creative sounds like a dream. But thinking of it now, I also see a downside. All of my hobbies/passions are constantly being judged and criticized, sometimes being deemed not good enough. This can sometimes leave me with no pure outlets of expression to destress. Perhaps I should take up a new sport or something a bit more distant from my work. Thanks for helping me realize this.

I can't believe you recognized those quotes! Rise and Shine is one of my favorite pieces of writing done for advertising! It was originally written for a video promoting a college baseball team, but has since then been repurposed by others for motivational sports videos all over Youtube. It's incredibly moving and inspiring, huh!?! That makes me happy that it inspires us both.

Thank you for the best wishes. Same positive thoughts to you!

dennis

Faptain America said:
Hey Dennis,

Welcome you the rest of your life! God that really did sound as cliche as I thought it would. HAHAHA.

Remember that you've been PMOing for the last 10 years of your life. This shit doesn't go away overnight. Keep plugging away at it and really dive into this website. Check out my journal. Check out everyone else's. You're not unique and you're definitely not alone.

As far as your girl goes, focus on her pleasure. Never leave her unfulfilled. This will help reinforce her commitment to you and will take the pressure off of you to perform giving you some breathing room.

Grab a cup of coffee and hang out. There's alot of great people going through the same thing you are. Also, keep an eye on just how many people are viewing your journal, even if not posting :)

Cheers,

-The Faptain

Hey Faptain!

Pleasure to meet you. Your handle is hilarious :)

You're right. I know that this is going to be a long and arduous process, because yes, PMO has been in my life for a very long time. It's not going to be easy, I understand. But I'm grateful for this community. I've always avoided joining a community because I felt that it meant my problem was very serious. But now I'm not afraid to admit it. I know I need to kill this thing, and that a community is a very powerful resource. So I thank you!

dennis

Day Two

I'm so thankful to have found Reboot Nation. I know it might be naive of me to say right now, only being on day 2, but I feel like this community is going to be the key to overcoming this. I found myself excited to come home and read people's journals. It feels great to know that there are others out there like me all going through the same struggle. So the first thought of today's journal is gratitude.

Last night, I went out for sushi with my girl. It was sushi night at a local bar. The bar, which was crowded, was very dimly lit and has a nice, intimate ambience to it. The whole place felt like it was illuminated by candlelight. It was a nice little refuge from the thunderstorm that was pouring rain outside. Unfortunately the music was very loud in there, so at times, it was difficult to hear what she was saying from across the booth. There was a moment in the night when she was telling me a story, and I sort of zoned out for a second because I was thinking about this reboot process. I guess my face displayed some sort of anxiety, because she suddenly stopped her story, and reached her hand across the table to hold mine. It sounds so cliche, but for a few seconds, it felt like time slowed down. I remember thinking holy crap, this woman is so beautiful. I am so goddamn lucky to be here, sitting across from her in this booth, eating squid balls and spicy tuna rolls. I guess you could say it was a moment of clarity for me. It made me realize how lucky I am that despite having PIED, I have an incredibly supportive woman and this newfound community at Reboot. Needless to say, Day 2 was an easy one since it was filled with gratitude.

I know not every day will be like yesterday. And that there will be challenging times ahead. But for now, I'm feeling very thankful.

Today, I went and got a haircut. I got a new style that I never had before. I feel like a slightly different person when I see myself in the mirror now. I feel like this physical change is a good idea in helping me envision my goal of becoming a new man.

Cheers.

dennis

Day Three

I realized that smoking weed puts me in a mindset where I'm tempted to PMO. So perhaps it might not be a good idea to continue smoking. Kind of tricky since it helps me create things for my projects. I'll have to make a decision soon.

This morning I was a little tempted, but mostly just out of boredom. I went on YBOP and read about cold showers... lots of interesting stuff about it. So I decided to try it. Boy was I screaming and howling like a wolf on laughing gas. It was actually really fun. And the posts were right, I felt great afterward! A warm sensation took over my body and I felt amazing. So I decided to extend the good feels and hit the gym. Gyms are weird places. They're kind of like the epicenter of gender stereotypes. Most of the dudes are jacked bros in tank tops grunting tremendously loud. And a lot of the girls walk around in their neon shorts or yoga pants trying to catch our attention. It was difficult but I definitely did not sneak a peak at all today. I just did the typical Brooklyn thing and kept my eyes on the ground haha.

Overall, Day 3 feels great. The cold showers were definitely the highlight of my day. I'm excited to keep the momentum on that rolling. I haven't felt that primal in a while.

Thanks again, Reboot.

dennis

Day Four

Today was definitely a bit of a challenge. I found myself having to get up away from my desk, and taking a quick walk around the corner to clear my mind.
I am generally in a better mood over the past few days and I can feel myself being more social and confident. But at the same time, I can feel this anxiety building up.
Today was the second day that I took cold showers. My roommate jokingly complained that he could hear me screaming my ass off in the shower and that it was disturbing his nap.

One thing I found to be of help was to open up Netflix and stream some stand up comedy when I'm bored. The only downside is that I get a little antsy when I try to watch things longer than 20 minutes or so haha. I feel like I have a lot of pent up energy today. It was pouring rain so I wasn't really in the mood to go to the gym. I know, excuses, but I'll definitely go this weekend. I used to breakdance and do flips and stuff. I wonder if maybe I should try to get back into it. Just a thought.

Survived another day. Woo!

dennis

Has anyone experienced weird dreams?

First off, I woke up with MW this morning, so that's awesome.

But also, I had some weirdass dreams, yo.

In one dream, which was similar to the film Edge of Tomorrow starring Tom Cruise, I had to convince my platoon that I was from the future. No one believed me. I had to show them that I knew where all the snipers, IEDs, and enemy soldiers were. It was a thrilling dream haha.

The second dream was oddly specific. Sweden declared some kind of trade embargo on the US, and so we couldn't have any more chicken wings and places like Buffalo Wild Wings had to shut down. But we retaliated by cutting off their access to art supplies, like paint brushes and canvases. Apparently in my dream, art is a big deal in Sweden. Why I had this dream, I have absolutely no idea.

But yeah, anyone experience more vivid and/or frequent dreams?

dennis

Day Five

I feel really good today. Last night, I went out with some friends to go dancing at the bars. I felt confident and full of energy all night. Somehow I ended up away from my friends at some point in the night, and found myself dancing with four attractive women (the kind I usually wouldn't have the confidence talking to). We all hit it off and they asked me to continue the night with them at a house party. It's been a while since I have been out, feeling confident, to where women are actually attracted enough to make moves on me. It felt awesome. But since I'm already seeing my girl, I politely declined. Still, it almost felt like I was living someone else's life. It was kind of strange.

Feeling great, I left the bar and ubered over to another part of town, where my girl and her friends were dancing at a hip hop bar. Throughout the night, I found myself making new friends left and right. I even dance battled with two dudes haha. I haven't felt this confident and social in a long time. I definitely believe it's the reboot that is having this effect on me. I know it's only been five days, so maybe it's all just a placebo, but hey, whatever works, right? Oh also, the cold showers REALLY help. Highly recommend it.

When my girl and I got back to my place, she really wanted to give me a BJ. I got nervous since I've never been able to maintain an erection during a BJ. Seriously, I usually lose my hard on in less than 10 seconds. I was totally freaking out in my head, but for some miraculous reason, I was able to keep it hard the whole time (Not rock hard, but sufficiently hard). I was literally lying there in disbelief as she went to town. It was the first time I was able to O from a BJ in 5 or 6 years. This morning, I still couldn't believe it.

I'm starting to think that rebooting, while some of it is based on science and the brain, is mainly reconcepting our own self-image and confidence. Taking the cold showers proves to me that my mind is stronger than my body. Even though I'm shivering and shaking under the cold water, having the discipline to calm down and finish the shower gives me a sense of confidence in myself. I think it's affecting my self image in a positive way.

PeaceOfMind062012

Hey Dennis,

I like your description of the Sweden-US dream, that sounded super funny!! Hahah. I do find that in general my clarity of mind and confidence are coming back a lot since cutting out P, so yeah, I wouldn?t be surprised if your dreams are becoming more vivid and prevalent.

Stay strong!!

-Peace

dennis

PeaceOfMind062012 said:
Hey Dennis,

I like your description of the Sweden-US dream, that sounded super funny!! Hahah. I do find that in general my clarity of mind and confidence are coming back a lot since cutting out P, so yeah, I wouldn?t be surprised if your dreams are becoming more vivid and prevalent.

Stay strong!!

-Peace

Haha thanks man! Yeah, i'm kind of looking forward to what other weird dreams lie ahead of me. But I agree with the clarity and confidence. I feel like I can make decisions faster, and be more sure of my decisions. I don't dilly dally as much. Thanks for checking in man! I really appreciate it!

achilles heel

Hey dennis,

glad to read about your initial progress, keep it up!

dennis said:
I've always avoided joining a community because I felt that it meant my problem was very serious. But now I'm not afraid to admit it. I know I need to kill this thing, and that a community is a very powerful resource.

I can totally relate to that. I knew I had a problem, but it's such a big step to admit it. This community will help you, because you are not alone and you will realize that there are others who already went through the same struggles you are going to face. And there are scientific explanations for many of those problems.

dennis said:
When I was at my lowest points of P addiction, I kept searching for more and more "unique" or hardcore types of P to satisfy me. My mind went to sick places that I am ashamed of and disgusted with. All for what? The second I reach O, I am filled with hatred and disgust with myself. This is not the man I want to be. I want to rid myself of these twisted thoughts and lusts. I want to become the kind of man that I would want marrying my daughter or sister. A confident, humble, righteous man with character. I want to live an authentic life with no hidden, dark secrets.

I've been there too and it really caused some major damage on me I try to repair now. The most important thing is to understand the addiction and realize that escalating to sick porn is just logical within addiction. Hatred and disgust are not helpful. Regret isn't either. We won't delete/overwrite over a decade of porn consumption, but we might use it as a reminder to never go back there. Because we can't make it undonde having gone down there, but we can avoid to return to this path. Therefore it's important to know our enemy and I suggest you read as much as you can about porn addiction and recovery. Take for instant:

dennis said:
I haven't felt this confident and social in a long time. I definitely believe it's the reboot that is having this effect on me. I know it's only been five days, so maybe it's all just a placebo, but hey, whatever works, right?

It's not placebo, but initial euphoria. You should check out siphus' journal as he provided interesting information on addiction and recovery there. This helped me out a lot: http://www.recoverynation.com/recovery/recovery_workshop_expectations.php and I'm pretty sure you're at #2 at the moment. Prepare yourself for probably having a hard time around your third and fourth week. Maybe a bit sooner or later. Start to schedule your life to have some healthy habits and routine you might stick to while euphoria vanishes and depression sets in with strong cravings. Know that this is going to pass and overcome the hard times. I want to read a success story over here soon and I know you're going to make it!

dennis

Thoughtful said:
Man looks like you are doing great!

you inspire me .. especially cold showers and stand up comedy videos!

Thanks man! I really appreciate the support. The cold showers do help a lot, although I'm starting to find that taking them everyday is making me used to them. So I think I might start alternating hot and cold to keep the coldness of the shower shocking.

dennis

achilles heel said:
Hey dennis,

glad to read about your initial progress, keep it up!

dennis said:
I've always avoided joining a community because I felt that it meant my problem was very serious. But now I'm not afraid to admit it. I know I need to kill this thing, and that a community is a very powerful resource.

I can totally relate to that. I knew I had a problem, but it's such a big step to admit it. This community will help you, because you are not alone and you will realize that there are others who already went through the same struggles you are going to face. And there are scientific explanations for many of those problems.

dennis said:

I've been there too and it really caused some major damage on me I try to repair now. The most important thing is to understand the addiction and realize that escalating to sick porn is just logical within addiction. Hatred and disgust are not helpful. Regret isn't either. We won't delete/overwrite over a decade of porn consumption, but we might use it as a reminder to never go back there. Because we can't make it undonde having gone down there, but we can avoid to return to this path. Therefore it's important to know our enemy and I suggest you read as much as you can about porn addiction and recovery. Take for instant:

dennis said:
I haven't felt this confident and social in a long time. I definitely believe it's the reboot that is having this effect on me. I know it's only been five days, so maybe it's all just a placebo, but hey, whatever works, right?

It's not placebo, but initial euphoria. You should check out siphus' journal as he provided interesting information on addiction and recovery there. This helped me out a lot: http://www.recoverynation.com/recovery/recovery_workshop_expectations.php and I'm pretty sure you're at #2 at the moment. Prepare yourself for probably having a hard time around your third and fourth week. Maybe a bit sooner or later. Start to schedule your life to have some healthy habits and routine you might stick to while euphoria vanishes and depression sets in with strong cravings. Know that this is going to pass and overcome the hard times. I want to read a success story over here soon and I know you're going to make it!

Thanks for the feedback, man! I really appreciate it. You're right, educating myself is one of the best things I can do for myself. I have been trying to watch 2 or 3 videos on the subject every day, and the more I learn, the more I can feel like I can distance myself from the emotion of the urges. The allegory of Plato's Cave in the TedX talk proved to be a very powerful comparison and is working for me.

I am a little worried about setting up scheduled routines and stuff to keep myself outdoors and busy. I just finished my last week of my first year of grad school, so now my schedule is wide open for the summer. A lot of my friends are leaving and I will be alone a lot more. It's going to become more difficult for sure. But you're right, maybe I should sign up for some gym classes or other recreational activities.

Thank you again for listening and for the support!

dennis

Day Eight

I think the initial euphoria of rebooting is starting to wear off. That extra confidence boost and heightened social energy isn't as present anymore. My body is adjusting to the cold showers and they no longer have the same shock as they used to. I think I'm going to start alternating hot and cold showers to keep the shock value of the cold showers alive. Although I have been working out, my diet is poor and I think that's one area I can improve on drastically. Last night, I was really tempted to PMO because when I was organizing files on an old hard drive, I accidentally came across some old P I had stored. My finder was on thumbnail view so I caught a glimpse of naked bodies. I quickly changed the view to list view. I knew I had to delete those files, but for a good four or five minutes, I was so tempted to PMO because my brain was so excited for that kick. It took everything I had to click the delete button and immediately go downstairs to make some food in the kitchen. Thankfully my roommates were hanging out downstairs, so I just hungout with them for an hour. Close call though.