I guess every form of refuge has its price

Chris Oz

Yeah, I think it's a really nice thing to do, observing the heavens. Noticing nature is really good for the mind. Most humans forget to.

J

J01

"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing - after they have tried everything else."  Winston Churchill

Is Mr. Churchill's comment a criticism or a praise?  It is probably both I think, and I find it useful for the business at hand.

It means to me that we have to keep at it and make some adjustments along the way.  Some things might work for one person but not for another.  Also, it seems like we have to take assessments of what we are doing.  For me, I have had to cut recreational web time down; I also added an extra exercise routine that is only a few minutes but is quite helpful.  Maybe it might mean giving up the "must see" series with provocative scenes that "everybody" is talking about.  Maybe it involves something simple like turning this way at work (and thereby giving up the chance to see the new hot chick in cube number 7) instead of turning that way.  At any rate, keep going and be on the lookout for things that could be modified in a beneficial way. Maybe it isn't even some huge big drastic change but something very simple. 

I am at day forty-nine but in the spirit of "rounding up" and motivation for tomorrow I'll call it fifty.  Take care all and have a clean day!

50 Day Clean

LetItGoAlready

Great job on "doing the right thing" and making the necessary adjustments to your life. Also, congrats on 50+ days clean. You're really making some great progress here, Jixu!

Really amazing milestone you hit Jixu.  Keep it rolling.  Nature is a really great way to get some new thoughts processing in your brain, and I comment you for finding that as a solution to investing time in the alternative negative options. 

I am pulling for you buddy! 

J

J01

Thanks TooMuch.  Hope you can find some great nature places as well!  Keep up the good fight!

Joel

jixu said:
cut recreational web time down; I also added an extra exercise routine that is only a few minutes but is quite helpful.  Maybe it might mean giving up the "must see" series with provocative scenes that "everybody" is talking about.  Maybe it involves something simple like turning this way at work (and thereby giving up the chance to see the new hot chick in cube number 7) instead of turning that way.  At any rate, keep going and be on the lookout for things that could be modified in a beneficial way. Maybe it isn't even some huge big drastic change but something very simple. 

Well done on the milestone, mate. And yes, keep tweaking that system and making progress - that's the answer!

J

J01

The days were moving by pretty uneventfully until about a week ago when a series of relentless urges and triggers engulfed me.  I fought them off for a few days but finally resorted to self-deception and then a couple of days later gave in.  This streak was 62 days and I'm just going to keep going and feel good about the good days and learn what I can from it!  No binge and back to the battle.

1 Day Clean 

J

J01

Sure is quiet out here on the western front-hope everyone stays engaged and does not grow weary!

Thanks Chris-keep pushing brother!

2 Day clean 

LetItGoAlready

Jixu-It has been kind of quiet lately, I agree. On my own front, I have been fighting a losing battle against time. The demands of work coupled with the shorter, darker, colder days of autumn has taken a toll on my motivation to check in as often as I used to, but I need to change that.

You've got the right attitude about this. Keep plugging away and don't let this latest setback shake you. You have shown before that you can go the distance against this lying cheating scumbag bitch of a habit, and you will do so again. Full confidence in you, friend.

J

J01

Thanks for the encouragement Let It Go.  My own view is that anyone who is here, no matter what their streak or no streak is, is way ahead of the game.  Sometimes it starts small, and starts today!    Fall can be hard, but I kind of like the new crispness, cradling a warm beverage and dreaming of the aroma of burning leaves (when I was a kid you could burn them at home in your yard, no one cared!)

LetItGoAlready

My own view is that anyone who is here, no matter what their streak or no streak is, is way ahead of the game.  Sometimes it starts small, and starts today!

Agreed. It's not easy taking that crucial first step of admitting weakness and reaching out for help. Beyond that, it's our commitment to personal growth and fostering growth in others that puts us ahead of the game, not just our days clean. Well done moving forward with a solid growth mindset, Jixu. You're doing great!

J

J01

Violated my rules against recreational web surfing and got burned.  I have been doing pretty good recently at reducing web time so I'm staying positive and driving on.  If you want to stay out of harm, stay out of harm's way!

1 Day Clean 

J

J01

Struggling a bit to get up and running again but feel good about staying committed. 

2 Day Clean

Joel

Good work getting back in the saddle, jixu. I feel that something new helps me kick off a new streak - whether it's a new resource, habit or system - e.g. buying a new, highly praised self-help book and working through the exercises. See you tomorrow!

J

J01

Thanks Joel.  I like your idea of a "new" input and have added a new book into my line-up for a fresh perspective on the battle.  Best wishes to you as well. 

4 Day Clean

ShadeTrenicin

Hey Jixu,

What exactly happened with the recreational web surfing? Also, what was different these past two weeks in comparison to your previous 62 days streak? Nevertheless I am glad to see that you are back on the horse again.

Stay safe and stay strong!

J

J01

Hi Shade!  As for recreational web time, mostly I just let my guard down and got careless about following my own guidelines.  At the same time I can see that I was being a little less than "thorough" with my accountability partner-a huge component in my effort.  Glad to be going better now.  Take care!

7 Day Clean